Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443078 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#195245 - 12/14/07 02:00 PM Re: High stress reaction - afraid of success? [Re: cbfull]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
To quote Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes fame):

"I find that the lower I keep everyone's expectations, the easier my life is."

Is that what you're talking about Craig?

#195306 - 12/14/07 08:10 PM Re: High stress reaction - afraid of success? [Re: cbfull]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
My take on this, or in my case I came to the conclusion that my fear of success is directly related to this: I was eight years old doing my thing living and loving life when my parents divorced, ripped my world apart, nine when I was molested, ripped my world apart. I was successful up until my life was ripped apart after that I no longer wanted the success because of the fear that someone or something would come and rip my life apart. It was better for me to have things that could be lost without great pain therefore I did not try to achieve or have things of great value to me. My fear was the loss would be to much for me to handle. I set myself up to have nothing of value to lose and it did not work. My healthy side wanted nice things, felt that I deserved it but the unhealthy side would not let it come about. I wrote about this in the book some time ago but it feels like yesterday the way its coming back to me now.

Hope this helps,

#195308 - 12/14/07 08:24 PM Re: High stress reaction - afraid of success? [Re: John Oarc]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Keeping my standards low to try and keep everyone's expectations of me low? I don't know what you're talking about... Oh wait, I think you hit the nail square on the head!

John, what you say makes a LOT of sense too. You may be on to something that I had not yet considered. Keep the bar low so that "when" it is lost the pain does not overwhelm. Very insightful indeed. Thanks for that.

Craig

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.