Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
5 registered (outis, lostsoul824, 86, Bluedogone, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441820 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#195000 - 12/12/07 04:41 PM phrase with punch
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I ran across this little phrase while browsing the poetry at
http://www.giftfromwithin.org . It made me stop and think - and think again, so I thought I'd share it.

Stopping is not the same as giving up

all these times I've wanted to back off my recovery - just REST for a bit - I always beat myself for "giving up". Now I see it differently.

#195003 - 12/12/07 05:05 PM Re: phrase with punch [Re: MarkK]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Mark --

This is so true, and it's a lesson I just came to terms with.

If you'd asked me a year ago, I'd have told you that I jumped ship on the whole recovery thing fifteen years ago and avoided any tough issues at all. Just built a career, a circle of friends, lots of escape behaviors, etc. Now, I'm just starting to edge back into it.

But the truth is that I did a whole lot of work during those fifteen years (like building the career and the circle of friends). How could I have faced my inner child before an outer grownup existed? Just in day-to-day life, a lot of the pain eased, I built some trust and some closeness, and when the time came to turn back inward, I knew it. I'm allowed to be proud of that.

Rest is important!
I'm so tired of the idea that we get that recovery isn't real if it isn't clobbering us!

David

Edited by MemoryVault (12/12/07 05:05 PM)

#195004 - 12/12/07 05:11 PM Re: phrase with punch [Re: MemoryVault]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
!!! another great quote !!!

Originally Posted By: MemoryVault
How could I have faced my inner child before an outer grownup existed?

Thanx, David!

M

#195005 - 12/12/07 05:13 PM Re: phrase with punch [Re: MemoryVault]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: MemoryVault
...If you'd asked me a year ago, I'd have told you that I jumped ship on the whole recovery thing fifteen years ago and avoided any tough issues at all. Just built a career, a circle of friends, lots of escape behaviors, etc. Now, I'm just starting to edge back into it.

But the truth is that I did a whole lot of work during those fifteen years (like building the career and the circle of friends). How could I have faced my inner child before an outer grownup existed?...

Holy shnick David. You just did me SO much good with that positioning of those years. THANK YOU!!!!!THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

I should send you the next $150 therapy payment.

Still's Globs

New Video

#195031 - 12/12/07 10:07 PM Re: phrase with punch [Re: Still]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Thanks, Rob!

Just survived an office party, so double-thanks!

D.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.