Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64148 Topics
447587 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#194928 - 12/12/07 02:19 AM book on predators
rickochey Offline
New Here

does anybody know of any books that talk about the mind of a predator. I have found great emotional relief from understanding their point of view.

#194947 - 12/12/07 08:44 AM Re: book on predators [Re: rickochey]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
That is a central focus of my book which is now in the editing process. Will hopefully be published in 2008.

#194977 - 12/12/07 01:20 PM Re: book on predators [Re: rickochey]
Still Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Originally Posted By: rickochey
I have found great emotional relief from understanding their point of view.

Rick,

I'm truly not being sarcastic or confrontational. I'm just wondering how and why you get relief from knowing this?

I'm afraid that I'd read or learn how and why I had a target on me...or learn about things I could have done to knock the perps off their tracks...or learn that my vulnerability was somewhat in my control.

Right now the idea of learning what goes on with them scares the shnick out of me.

#194989 - 12/12/07 02:35 PM Re: book on predators [Re: Still]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Hey Rick!

There's a book out there called "Not Monsters: Analyzing the Stories of Child Molesters." It is by Dr. Pamela Schultz. You can find it on amazon or perhaps at some books stores, but I doubt it's in any libraries.

It's a compelling book, but may be triggering to some survivors who don't have that certain attraction. It doesn't go into detail about their offenses, but they do tell their stories. Dr. Schultz worked with them in the prison system and during mandated therapy groups and what it is is basically a collection of the stories they wrote for her.

After the story she talks about them in a psychological context -- "analyzing" them. It really goes into how they got to be in those situations -- or more so, how they put themselves there. That's the main focus: how abusers became abusers. It's really sad some of their stories, and it shows how things can really spiral out of control for normal people.

It's worth a read if you're interested in the other side of the coin.

#194992 - 12/12/07 02:57 PM Re: book on predators [Re: AndyJB2005]
rickochey Offline
New Here

Thanks for both replys..

I understand your confusion on why I want to read "their point of view" is I read an article by Dr Laura Sch... called "Evil Among Us" talks about how "sex with children is harmless' she talked about how they think and want to control their victims. FOR ME..it is a great release of guilt, shame, adn put it back onto him where it belongs... the more I understand why he did hat he did the more I am not taking irresponsibility of his perversion.

thanks for the concern as I feel you really do care.

#194997 - 12/12/07 03:57 PM Re: book on predators [Re: rickochey]
rickochey Offline
New Here

I just ordered a book called " why men molest, something like that As I was reading a few example I was getting extremely angry ,,, that is so awesome that it is drawing out my anger.... Thanks everyone..

#195008 - 12/12/07 06:07 PM Re: book on predators [Re: rickochey]
Still Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

I think reading books of that nature is WAY down the road for me. I've got enough on my plate figuring out myself.

#195013 - 12/12/07 07:20 PM Re: book on predators [Re: Still]
rickochey Offline
New Here

Here is the article by DR Laura.. she is against sex abuse. please do not read this if you are not ready...

http://www.tegenwicht.org/13_rbt_eng/laura_evil.htm

#195032 - 12/12/07 10:08 PM Re: book on predators [Re: rickochey]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Gentlemen,

I read the article linked above with interest. I find it despicable that such a movement is afoot in this country. Anyone who believes such monstrous drivel put out in the name of the mental health community need only spend a few days in company of the men on this site, or better yet, go back in time with me to the weeks and months following my own personal crisis when the memories hit like a freight train. It is beyond me how this kind of drivel can be pawned off as legitimate research.

That aside, I'd like to express my thanks to rickochey for bringing this to our attention, and also state that while MaleSurvivor agrees with Dr. Laura that this study is abhorrent and bogus, we do not necessarily condone her statements regarding homosexuality contained in the article.

Please read the article if you wish, but we'd like to ask you to keep any comments regarding the article to comments about the study and not divert this thread to discussion of her other statements. If someone wishes to discuss the merits or lack thereof of her other statements please feel free to begin a new thread in unmoderated.

Edited by walkingsouth (12/12/07 10:12 PM)

#195038 - 12/12/07 11:20 PM Re: book on predators [Re: WalkingSouth]
Still Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

I read the article. My blood pressure is up....my head is spinning. But I'm thinking...this might be real and a true issue to be dealt with in other countries...but not here in the USA yet. Then I think...but where does that leave the children of places like Holland? It does not matter to me that they are in other countries...this crap has got to stop!

If there were ever a worldly condition that may trigger the second coming, the normalizing of CSA is likely it! And then it does not matter what law or social morey says adult-child sex is harmless...THE law will be enforced and there will be no hope for the pedophile and NAMBLA and that "progressive gang."

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.