Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
rpalm06 (46)
Who's Online
3 registered (SJC, JW1230, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63558 Topics
444063 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#260405 - 11/07/08 09:37 AM Re: Twin Cities Minnesota USA men's support group [Re: Trucker51]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Mic doesn't know of a group, I asked him a while back.

And SAA isn't my thing, and I already have a 12 step group, which isn't like this group anyway. So I don't know about any SAA groups but I hear this is out there.

This is open topic, talk about what you want to, and you can talk to each other, we allow "crosstalk".

Thanks for the ideas. I don't mean to be "short" here--just in a hurry now.

Edited by LandOfShadow (11/07/08 12:46 PM)

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#287920 - 05/18/09 11:15 AM Re: Twin Cities Minnesota USA men's support group [Re: LandOfShadow]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just want to bump this up, and say this group is going well but could use a few new members. It's about 5 loyal members who've met for about 8 months.

PM if you'd like to hear more.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#319201 - 01/17/10 06:04 PM Re: Twin Cities Minnesota USA men's support group [Re: LandOfShadow]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just a reminder about the Survivor Support group that meets Thursdays, 7-9pm at the Men's Center, 33rd & Hennepin Av S in Minneapolis.

PM me if you have any questions.

Freedom

Paul Eluard

#322629 - 02/19/10 11:36 AM Re: Twin Cities Minnesota USA men's support group [Re: LandOfShadow]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Hey Land of Shadow-thanks for the reminder:

I've been going the past several weeks, but need to take some time off and take this process slowly.

Glad you are here.

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#364126 - 06/13/11 10:11 PM Re: Twin Cities Minnesota USA men's support group [Re: Mountainous Buck]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

An update:

The Twin Cities Men's sexual assault and abuse support group has moved and is now meeting at the Neighborhood Involvement Program: Rape and Sexual Assault Center at 2431 Hennepin Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55405 from 6:30 to 8:30pm Thursday nights.

This is open to all male survivors, gay, bi, trans and straight. PM me with questions and details.

This group has been meeting every week for almost 3 years now.

Freedom

Paul Eluard

#407410 - 08/21/12 12:03 PM Re: Twin Cities Minnesota USA men's support group [Re: LandOfShadow]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm just updating and "bumping" this to the recent posts since there was interesting in Minneapolis area survivors and groups.

I'm a contact person for this group which you can follow-up on via the brochure here. I like to talk to members before they attend.

We're up to four years of weekly meetings with generally 4 to 12 members, usually more in the middle of that range.

All men with unwanted sexual experiences in the past, either as children or adults or both are welcome. Gay, straight, trans, unsure, are welcome. No fee, intake or attendance requirements. We ask that only men who have not abused others sexually (i.e. abused children themselves) as adults attend.

I know of nothing else specifically for male survivors like this in the Twin Cities and would very much like to know of anything else that exists.

Freedom

Paul Eluard

#417518 - 11/28/12 10:45 AM Re: Twin Cities Minnesota USA men's support group [Re: LandOfShadow]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

I’m disappointed to add here I am no longer associated with this group and cannot recommend it.

It’s no longer the healing environment I’ve tried to create, where men can talk about their victimization without interpretations or judgements other than exploring their own, with the perspectives of other men with similar experiences. Many have said how enormously helpful that is.

I don’t believe (convicted or not) sex offenders belong in a group of non-offending male survivors, but on this, I am overruled by the professionals at NIP. This was my policy: no adult (over 18) perpetrators (regardless if he was “caught” and based on his own statement as such).

Repeatedly I’ve heard staff say things stating or implying all male survivors are perpetrators. That simply isn’t a scientific viewpoint, and it’s the worst of the external judgements on survivor experiences that keeps us “stuck”. We all need to be responsible for and examine our behavior, and sexuality is hard to “live” without mistakes, misunderstandings or flaws, especially given the confusing messages of abusive, forced or coerced experiences. It is gets impossible with the stigmas associated with people who have crossed the legal lines, and quite unfair to assume so when there is no evidence you have.

I'd consider reviving this group elsewhere if there was 1 or 2 men to jointly facilitate it. Message me.

Freedom

Paul Eluard

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.