Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (learning2remember, tbkkfile, 2 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443095 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194865 - 12/11/07 08:04 PM Does anyone see how this could be problematic?
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ad broadcasts messages into your skull

Quote:
The billboard uses technology manufactured by Holosonic that transmits an "audio spotlight" from a rooftop speaker so that the sound is contained within your cranium. The technology, ideal for museums and libraries or environments that require a quiet atmosphere for isolated audio slideshows, has rarely been used on such a scale before. For random passersby and residents who have to walk unwittingly through the area where the voice will penetrate their inner peace, it's another story.

Ms. Wilson, a New York-based stylist, said she expected the voice inside her head to be some type of creative project but could see how others might perceive it differently, particularly on a late-night stroll home. "I might be a little freaked out, and I wouldn't necessarily think it's coming from that billboard," she said.

Great, more voices. I should go to New York and listen to this thing, conveniently have an episodic breakdown, and then sue for millions.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#194886 - 12/11/07 10:00 PM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: melliferal]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

How disturbing....... don't know whether to laugh or cry...... lol

#194912 - 12/12/07 12:24 AM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: WalkingSouth]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Maybe it can stiffle those other things I hear about me in my head. \:\)

#194913 - 12/12/07 12:25 AM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: EGL]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Eddie, I like the way you think!!! \:\)

#194944 - 12/12/07 08:15 AM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: melliferal]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I'm not sure I understand what this would accomplish. Quiet atmosphere for isolated slideshows? Why wouldn't everyone viewing the slideshow be just as vulnerable?

The only difference I can see here is that normal audio messages and sounds can be mostly blocked by covering/plugging your ears. With this technology, it is still a sound wave so it's going to go everywhere just the same as any ordinary audio message, only now you can't cover your ears if you need to silence your head. It is likely that covering your ears would just make it seem louder. All I can think is BAD BAD BAD.

I'll wait and see what the point of this technology would be. As far as using it with the general public... CERTAINLY NOT!

It just seems so invasive. Not to mention, it's insensitive. This is coming from someone (me) who has plenty of triggers about schizophrenia because my father hears voices in his head all the time.

I don't like this one bit.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#194970 - 12/12/07 12:07 PM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: cbfull]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: cbfull
I'm not sure I understand what this would accomplish. Quiet atmosphere for isolated slideshows? Why wouldn't everyone viewing the slideshow be just as vulnerable?

But the people viewing the slideshow are the ones that are -supposed- to be hearing the audio.

I actually think this technology can be useful in some ways. Imagine it this way - picture yourself in a museum - a place it's generally supposed to be very quiet. When you stand in front of an exhibit, the requisite audio plays for you, and only you (and whomever else is standing in front of that particular exhibit) - it's not just blaring out into the hall. In other words, if I'm standing in front of a wall explaining the discovery of Australopithecus, I don't want to be hearing audio from the geologic strata exhibit on the other end of the hall; I want to hear THAT audio only when I'm at THAT exhibit.

Many museums these days have a station with one or two sets of earphones, which accomplish the same thing, but are uncomfortable. Plus, in order to learn anything, you've got to wait until the person in front of you is done listening first; and in my experience in museums, NOBODY hangs around and waits - they just skip that exhibit and move to something else. That kind of defeats the purpose of having that exhibit on display. Sometimes, even when nobody is there, patrons just don't pick up the earphones and listen. Why are they even there?

Also available these days - usually for a fee - are tape-recorded "guided tours", wherein you carry a personal tape player with earphones, and you're expected to keep up as the audio narrator moves around the museum. I've noticed that people get lost wearing these - they find themselves in the middle of a hall with no idea of what exhibit they're supposed to be looking at next.

But outside of this circumstance, I can't see that this technology can be good. Schizophrenia just doesn't seem like a proper selling tactic to me.

Edited by melliferal (12/12/07 12:08 PM)

#194974 - 12/12/07 01:02 PM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: melliferal]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
This technology has been used in modern warfare as well in hand held sound-isolation rifles. The user can command a particular individual in a crowd to step out of the crowd or surrender...or whatever.

Quote:
had to find a new device that would prevent theft from its rooftop location. Mr. Pompei only takes it as a compliment that someone would go to the trouble of stealing his technology, but hopes consumer acceptance comes with time. "The sound isn't rattling your skull, it's not penetrating you, it's not doing anything nefarious at all. It's just like having a flashlight vs. a light bulb," he said.

As for this type of application, I guarantee it will grow in use similar in rate to that of street cameras. We all rolled-over and allowed that to happen without so much as a single word of protest.

Edited by Robbie Brown (12/12/07 01:48 PM)

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#194986 - 12/12/07 02:16 PM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: Still]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
the more "common" it comes - the more people find out - - it won't be long before the whole issue ends up in court as a civil rights issue. little more than snapping a photo - it's broadcasting into your body - and that's violation.

not saying it will amount to anything - but it will be fought.

m

#195001 - 12/12/07 04:44 PM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: MarkK]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

My disagreement with this isn't so much over privacy. I mean, like street cameras are used by the local government to collect information about you - that can be construed as a violation of privacy. Sounds being beamed at you aren't quite the same thing; the speakers can't collect information about you and they don't really have "access" to your head in the Manchurian Candidate sense. My issue with it is similar to the issue I have with computer pop-ups. They're intrusive and distracting. But, with visual ads, I can always avoid them or turn them off, or hell, just look the other way. Since you can't see sound waves, you have no way to know where these advertisements are, and no way to avoid them if you so choose. That's what I don't like. You have no way to get away from them.

#195016 - 12/12/07 07:32 PM Re: Does anyone see how this could be problematic? [Re: melliferal]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I use mozilla Firefox with Flashblock which stopped all flash content from playing until you click on the arrow to play it if you want to.
This tech sound devise just creeps me out. Imagine cell towers with these devises beaming the ads at very low volume and you really cant hear it but your brain does. Like subliminal messages. They used to use subliminal pictures of food and drink at theaters & drive ins. One frame of a drink or fries and it seemed everyone got the same idea to get a soda at the same time. They were forced to stop the practice. I could see this technology used in the same way.
Peace
Rick

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.