Newest Members
squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous
12368 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
8 registered (gettingstronger, lapchinj, pattom, 4 invisible), 7 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12368 Members
74 Forums
63563 Topics
444108 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194649 - 12/10/07 09:45 AM Anyone else get sleep paralysis?
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
This may be TRIGGERING.

I have bouts of this every now and then. It's very, very disturbing. I've only ever hallucinated once and it was because I tried to ignore it. I think my mind was entering an active dream state while I was still "awake" or something.

Just wondering if this is something that abuse survivors are more susceptible to.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#194666 - 12/10/07 11:28 AM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: cbfull]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Craig,

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Sleep paralysis? Is that like daydreaming?

Need more info...

Ric

#194673 - 12/10/07 11:59 AM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: Lazarus]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Maybe it's just me then!

Sleep paralysis is when you wake up in the middle of the night and you can't move your body, and that includes being able to speak. It can be a very, very disturbing experience. It usually happens to me several times in one night for a few nights, and then it won't happen again for a while.

#194683 - 12/10/07 01:11 PM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: cbfull]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just because I didn't know what it was doesn't mean that it's just you who has experienced this.

I HAVE experienced something similar; while I'm asleep I can feel or sense something going on in the real world, but I am powerless to wake myself up to attend to it. My earlies memory of this happened when I was about 7 or 8; I remember smelling a man and sensing him standing next to my bed. I was afraid, but I could not wake myself up. Eventually the man left. I don't know that this was not a dream, but I knew at the time that it most certainly was real. I've had several similar instances over the years, and each one is clearly memorable.

Is that something like what you are talking about?

Laz

#194695 - 12/10/07 02:19 PM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: Lazarus]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

That sounds about right

#194698 - 12/10/07 02:29 PM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: cbfull]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
OH MY GOSH! You mean this is a REAL thing other people have too? I have had this off and on for years. I thought it was just me. I too have woken up and been unable to move, speak, anything. A doctor told me it was just a semi-dream state and not to worry about it, but I never thought anyone else might actually go thru this.

It scares the "holy-hosanna" out of me!

m

#194701 - 12/10/07 03:12 PM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: MarkK]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

What I usually have to do when this happens, and I hate it, is first of all, stop fighting and relax. Then I count to three in my head, and with all my might I try to twitch every muscle in my entire body simultaneously. This works for me every time, even though it is unpleasant to wake myself up this way. Once in a while I will have a "failed" attempt because I did not build up enough gusto before I jerked my body.

What do you guys do to "make it stop"?

It's such a bizarre thing. The reason I brought it up was because I wanted to see if it is particularly disturbing for abuse survivors due to the sensation of being unable to move.

#194702 - 12/10/07 03:17 PM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: cbfull]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I have to sit up. Whatever it takes I have to sit up. Normally when it happens I'm not even breathing. Having been diagnosed with sleep apnea (semi-severe) this scares more than anything else. Afterwards I have to get the lights on and sit, using my grounding techinques to calm down.

I have found if I sleep on my side I don't experience these "episodes". If I sleep on my back, I do. (and I can't sleep on my stomach anyhoo)

So for me, sleeping on my side is the answer. Or at least has been so far...

M

#194703 - 12/10/07 03:21 PM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: MarkK]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

I never have figured out how to make it stop. It can be really terrifying. I just wait in tense panic until it subsides.

I've tried waking myself up, but never had the 'gusto' as Craig put it, to break out of the paralysis.

#194711 - 12/10/07 04:38 PM Re: Anyone else get sleep paralysis? [Re: Lazarus]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
This sounds Not So Good> I have horrible nightmares that I am dealing with. I sure don't want to experience anything else.
But thanks for the insight.

Really sorry to hear you have to go through this.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.