Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
2 registered (Andrew, 1 invisible), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63772 Topics
445343 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#194517 - 12/08/07 10:30 PM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: GateKPR4]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
i'm now on meds just so i can sleep
meds for depression would be like another slap in the face

how do you keep accepting more?

#194534 - 12/09/07 05:39 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: MarkK]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

It was very difficult to accept at first, Mark. But then I learned what it was like to live without depression.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#194548 - 12/09/07 08:19 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: GateKPR4]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
I know that I've spent most of my life very depressed. That's rather sad...plus the fact that no adult ever looked into it.

Current day emotions are probably my best ever. I'm sure I can thank the meds for that. But I still deal with your original list of symptoms.

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#194551 - 12/09/07 09:12 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: Still]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
After my overdose I spent years off of meds. This was not a good thing because I self medicated with whatever I could get, mostly alcohol which is a depressant. I still thought of having to take meds to feel normal/good was a bad thing and did not want to live that way.
It took 3 years to get where I am today and for the most part I'm happy. I hope one day I will be able to get off meds but in the mean time its a vital part of my recovery. I have to learn new ways to deal with life. There is no shame in having to take meds its just the way it is.
Part of the reason I left my 12 step group was the guilt and shame that I felt because I was on meds. Its not in the program itself its the attitude of many of the people there who think taking any medication besides an aspirin is not being sober. This does not help when I already struggle with the fact I have to take them in the first place.
I feel 90% better about it now that I left the group and I'm working more with my therapist more often. My depression is not even close to what it was a month ago and I'm dealing better with life.
As you can tell by my long posts this has been an issue for a long long time. and I could write pages on it.
Do what you have to do to take care of yourself and don't feel less than anyone else because you have to take meds. there are millions of people who take them to survive, depression is no different.

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.