Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443353 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194301 - 12/07/07 11:27 PM The Symptoms of Depression
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I never realized how profound my depression was until I lived without it for a couple of months. When it returned, it was nothing new, yet it was much more powerful because I had learend it wasn't normal.

This is how I think when the bleakness of depression overtakes me. There is no escaping these feelings. I know, now that I"m on 120 mg of Cymbalta per day, that if these feelings overwhelm me again, I will end up in the hospital.

I'm sure many of these feeling will sound familiar to a lot of people here.

How did my life get to this point?
I'm never going to amount to anything.
Why can't I concentrate?
Why don't I want to do anything anymore?
Why do I get bored so easily?
What do my friends think of me?
Did I say the wrong thing?
Did I fail to say the right thing?
Will they still accept me?
I'm so paranoid.
When will it stop?
What do I have to look forward to?
Why should I even try?
What point is it to even go on living?
Who would notice if I was to die?
Would anyone care?
I messed up.
Everything is my fault.
How can anyone ever forgive me?
I'm such a screw-up.
I just want to eat.
I just want to sleep.
What else do I have to live for?
I hate myself.
I'm not worth being loved.
I just wish everyone would leave me alone.
I just want to die.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#194307 - 12/08/07 12:13 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: BJK]
rehpotsirhcs Offline
MaleSurvivor

I feel those too. Especially the last five.

#194338 - 12/08/07 03:14 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: rehpotsirhcs]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Chris,

Is this something that you feel like you can talk to someone about? I know you've had some issues with your school counselor, but is there another counselor you could talk to? A teacher? Your mom? A local hotline?

The reason I ask is because it's not normal to feel this way, especially wanting to die. I've spent most of my life feeling that way, so I take that pretty seriously, okay?

I'm bjohn13 in chat, and in the time I've talked to you in the chatroom, I've really gotten to like you. I'd hate you see you get hurt.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#194359 - 12/08/07 08:47 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: BJK]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

last 6 is my normal>

#194365 - 12/08/07 09:34 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: sabata]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I have been fighting depression most of my life. Bryan you put into words what I usually thought. My T asked me what goes through my mind and I could never seem to get it down on paper. I have thought all those things and felt that way for so long that when it stopped I didn't know how to deal with it. I had been convinced my depression was a chemical imbalance but none of the medications seemed to work. I had seriously considered shock treatment "electro convulsive therapy" is the new term. I also looked into VNS (vagus nerve stimulation) which is an implant.
Today I know my depression was from not dealing with my emotions about my childhood. Growing up in an alcoholic home where there was verbal abuse, then out of the home all the csa, the brainwashing, grooming, betrayal, anger, fear, guilt, shame, hate. These are the seeds of my depression and when I got honest with myself and my T the depression became very mild. On a scale of 1 -10 its been about 1-3 and thats pretty good since it used to be 8-10 all the time.

It's been about a month now that I started opening up and I was feeling great, no serious depression. Today I feel crappy, and I'm having a lot of negative talk going on in my head. I am on strong antibiotics and expectorant for a sinus infection, its day 4 on these meds. I hope its just the sinus infection and meds that is causing me to feel this way. I don't want to go back to the depression, I don't want to mentally crash and wind up back in the psych ward. Right now it seems all I can accomplish is posting to MS and I guess thats better than nothing at all.

Hold on Chris you are strong I believe in you and that you will be OK. Challenge your>
__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#194375 - 12/08/07 10:22 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: GateKPR4]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Guys,

When we see ourselves falling into depression I think it's really important to seek and accept the help we need. That means medication in the first place, even if we don't like the idea. I know I hated the idea I was depressed enough I needed meds; it felt like yet another defeat. And sometimes it takes awhile to hit the combination that will work for you. But it's worth it! I was amazed at the difference the medication made.

Another thing that really helped me was to fight the temptation to isolate myself. It was an effort, but that too worked out in the end. Try to think of things you like to do and get out and do them. You don't have to try anything ambitious at first, but at least try to get yourself some things to do - creative things if you can.

And keep talking. That's yet another great thing about this site. No matter how bad we feel we can still come here and say whatever needs to come out, knowing we will be supported and understood.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#194386 - 12/08/07 11:12 AM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: GateKPR4]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Some of this symptoms apply to me too.

Brian,

It is good that you let us know about your pain. This alone is a help to you.

Depression must be addressed. Just thinking of it does not make life better.

It saddens me to know that ou already take meds and they don't help you so that you feel healed.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#194504 - 12/08/07 08:55 PM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: alexey]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm on meds that work really good most of the time. Lamictal is what I take for depression. I am sick and its kind of wearing me down. I did get out today and putter around the yard in the sun. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. I am feeling better tonight than I was this morning.
Bryan there are other meds- they work different for everyone so its a hit and miss thing. I must have been through most of them before we found Lamictal worked best. Make sure you let the pdoc know its not doing the job.
peace
Rick

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#194513 - 12/08/07 10:04 PM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: GateKPR4]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Rick,

It was doing its job quite well. In fact, the past couple of months, since I started taking it, have been the first experience I ever remember living without depression.

My pre>

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#194516 - 12/08/07 10:27 PM Re: The Symptoms of Depression [Re: BJK]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Will take some time for the new dose to take effect too. change in dose is always a factor. Glad it is working for you. Probably give it another week before it gets established in your system.
I remember the dose changes for me were rough. I want it to work now but they don't work that way.
Most important thing is you are aware of the thoughts and feelings and know what to do with them. Glad you are working it out.
peace
Rick

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.