Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
6 registered (skyguy, Won'tGiveUp, watzupwitu, traveler, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444478 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#194471 - 12/08/07 05:15 PM body memories
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
ok, so my T brought up something new today. If you go thru trauma and it's too much for your mind to handle (which it often is) then it gets remembered in the body. And the physical problems we have can sometimes be traced back to the actual trauma and we can get clues and hints as to what took place. Which would be kewl for me since my memories are almost non-existant.

So, has anybody else dealt with this idea in therapy? if so, did you find it helpful? it just sounds a bit "out there" for me...

#194481 - 12/08/07 06:49 PM Re: body memories [Re: MarkK]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

I can see how the mind might express a subconscious memory by "remembering" in the form of physical pain or muscular motion, and that this kind of remembering is different from the traditional "thought form" kind of memory. For instance, when I was a little kid, I liked to chew on the aluminum tips of my pencils because I liked the taste of the metal. Nowadays, whenever something makes me remember that habit, I can actually taste aluminum, as if I had a piece in my mouth right this minute. If good or neutral memories can manifest this way, I see no reason why bad memories can't, as well.

I'm pretty sure it's still a brain trick, though. As far as I know, only your nervous system contains the synapses and neurotransmitters, etc necessary for memory to happen; muscles and other tissue just don't have the requisite "stuff" to store memories with. Unless somebody's made a prizewinning discovery recently...

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#194510 - 12/08/07 09:27 PM Re: body memories [Re: MarkK]
NatureDrum Offline
New Here

Mark,
The second half of my t session is a hands-on treatment to work the body to help release locked in emotions. It has been very effective for me in helping get in touch and work through some tough emotions. One time comes to mind when I just raised my leg and my t gently resisted me lowering it (with my consent) and I started crying as long-held tension was released.

My Story

#194565 - 12/09/07 12:20 PM Re: body memories [Re: MarkK]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Hi MarkK,

There is a type of trauma therapy called "somatic experiencing" that addresses this. I did some when I was in treatment. My non-professional short de>

#194581 - 12/09/07 02:42 PM Re: body memories [Re: mike5]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
MarkK,

In some survivivors memories are present and vivid. In others they are shadowed, The kind of treatmet depends on this very much (talk therapy, art therapy, EMDR, others).

I can talk to my T about associations that trigger me in a safe world today. My physical problemas also partly stem from abuse, and mostly from depression.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#194637 - 12/10/07 07:06 AM Re: body memories [Re: alexey]
des6263 Offline

Loc: midwest, US
Hey Mark,
I am a certified massage therapist, I posted a while back about massage and recovery, thought you might be interested. the link is below. http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=168397&page=3#Post168397

Peace and Love
David

#194670 - 12/10/07 11:53 AM Re: body memories [Re: des6263]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Thanx guys. Looks like there's information and experience out there. So far my T hasn't suggested body work or massage - he has me doing a relaxation technique where I "breathe into" my body, like "breathe into my feet" and "breathe into my shoulders". It's wierd - but when we walked thru it the first time I found definite triggers around my neck, shoulders, and throat. Considering what little I remember about those times - the three locations don't surprise me too much.

So, like everything else, more uncharted territory.

And thanx for the link to the other post, David. I find myself like several who posted there - the thought of massage is more frightening than the pieces of memories I have.

sigh

This is never gonna be easy.

M

#194924 - 12/12/07 12:51 AM Re: body memories [Re: MarkK]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
This is a big deal for me now, trying to reconnect with my body. There's a book, Trauma and the Body, by Pat Ogden and others that is I think kind of current in this area. It's a fairly difficult read written for therapists, but I got through it.

But understanding it, is irrelevant really. It's feeling it. Really being in my body. Alive. I have always felt kind of dead, numb, disconnected, not sure what I feel, what I want, in fact, kind of like this isn't my life I live but some kind of faded memory of something else... Ick.

Connecting to my body is helping a whole lot.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#194950 - 12/12/07 08:57 AM Re: body memories [Re: LandOfShadow]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Hi People.

A really helpeful topic. If people please don't mind me talking about myself for a second, A lot of my personal issues are about pysical contact and affection, ---- in fact that's pretty much the reason why I'm here. I think some of the things suggested ere could help me deal with things.

About feeling good about the body, I know for a fact the time I feel myself most in control, and most ontop of things is wen I am seriously singing, using all my chest and diafragm muscles, right posture etc. I've even been able to do things on stage, while singing that I'd never be able to do otherwise, and I know part of that is because singing is so intensively pysical.

I am also a lot more keen on sports that require the hole body, such as cross country skeeing, canooing or rock climbing than sports wich only use part of the body like cycling or running.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.