Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
rpalm06 (46)
Who's Online
1 registered (Scott1962), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63557 Topics
444051 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#193904 - 12/05/07 01:43 PM EMDR therapy - anybody tried it? Results?
fixer Offline
New Here

Loc: Central Virginia
My T has suggested, and we are using "Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing" Therapy as a means to get out, through, and past my abuse history. Has anybody else tried this? What were your feelings and results from it?

#193922 - 12/05/07 04:25 PM Re: EMDR therapy - anybody tried it? Results? [Re: fixer]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
Hi Fixer,

There is a few threads of recent about EMDR. I am currently seeing a therapist who is facilitating EMDR approx. every second session. As I said in the other thread, it seems to take the edge off a bit and does seem to be helping. Its difficult to explain but my brain just is more able to focus on a particular memory or a particular topic better. I have less "I don't know" answers to the questions my therapist asks.

Anyways heres what I said in another thread recently, and the link to the thread below.

Originally Posted By: frost
EMDR is a technique which involves stimulating both sides of the brain simultaneously in order to process thoughts and feelings quicker. At least, that's how my therapist has described it to me. There are 3 ways that I know of to use it.. the 1st is by touch in the palm of the hands, my therapist uses vibrating paddles. Another way is audio and another way is visual with lights.

From my experience, its extremely exhausting, but it seems to help take the edge off. I have my EMDR appointments setup for days that I don't work because in all honesty, there's no way i'd be able to work after EMDR. A friend of mine was musing the other day that the perfect thing for an afternoon after EMDR is "Netflix"... which I think is so true. I never feel like doing much of anything afterwards, im always so exhausted and just want to sleep or lay on the couch and do something mindless.

I do recommend it, but I do recommend proceeding with it carefully. I made sure to find a therapist that specialized in more than EMDR so that she could recommend whether or not it would be a good tool to be applied to my situation.

The thread is found HERE and there is a fairly good discussion on EMDR...

All the best,
~Brian

#193932 - 12/05/07 06:04 PM Re: EMDR therapy - anybody tried it? Results? [Re: frost]
fixer Offline
New Here

Loc: Central Virginia
Thanks, Brian

I'll move my thoughts, conversation, etc. over to that thread.

#193937 - 12/05/07 06:38 PM Re: EMDR therapy - anybody tried it? Results? [Re: fixer]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
no need to fixer -- this thread is just fine \:\)

#194027 - 12/06/07 10:36 AM Re: EMDR therapy - anybody tried it? Results? [Re: frost]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I'm doing EMDR in therapy too right now. It's intense for sure and has brought up a lot of detailed memories about abuse and other memories. It seems to help me so far but I've only done it a little over a month. It has been making me really emotional when I do it, so beware. I saw details when doing it that felt like I was actually there and at times I felt like that little kid.

I'd say go for it, even if it's hard.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.