Newest Members
hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt, feartheroo, Xzander32244
12130 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ACLover94 (50), Henry (40), james 1959 (55), Johnny90 (24), poliwog (44), Starbuck (38)
Who's Online
10 registered (Jas52, I Want 2 Thrive, JayBro, 5 invisible), 68 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12130 Members
73 Forums
62553 Topics
438316 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#188335 - 10/22/07 04:37 AM Re: Marijuana [Re: BJK]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Originally Posted By: BJK
Chris,

Personally, I think any mind altering substance, including alcohol, should be approaced with extreme caution for anyone who is recovering from any kind of abuse.

Also, the lack of ambition that marijuana promotes can also be a serious detriment to recovery even without habitual use.

As a user for 37 years I agree with what Bryan said. The lack of ambition has been a big issue for me. I have been working on stopping my use and the past few months have been good for me. I hid in the haze of smoke in order to not have to deal with the Sexual Abuse, that got me NO WHERE.

Tom

#188415 - 10/22/07 11:38 PM Re: Marijuana [Re: Muldoon]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
thanks Tom ive decided im not going to do it on a regular basis. the negatives i think might outweigh the positives.

#193311 - 12/01/07 09:21 AM Re: Marijuana [Re: theatrekid]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Theatrekid,

Thanks for posting about your expeience.

I smoked lots of pot when in college and even in high school.

I decided to stop, though, after having realy hard times with physical and emotinal heatlh. I abused smoking pot.

I hope no one here will have similar experience, nd basically it is up to you to decide wheter or not smoke it.

Stop if you feel it spoils your relationships with other people.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#193325 - 12/01/07 12:09 PM Re: Marijuana [Re: alexey]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Chris,

I am posting as someone who started with alcohol at age 13 and ended up with heroin and prostitution. I didn't stay in that dark place at the end for very long, but I paid a terrible price for escaping.

Lots of guys your age get stoned from time to time and I don't see anything wrong with that; alcohol is a lot more dangerous. The risk comes in when you start using weed to settle down, feel "normal" and so on. What that basically means is you are using it to numb out, and THAT's what leads to disaster: you're no longer doing it for fun, you "need" it.

It's just a hop, skip and a jump from "I'll just do this tonight so I can settle down", to "I can stop any time I want", to reliance on drugs just to function. Weed is not addictive, but when a survivor is using it to get through, that can lead to all kinds of bad shit, and if my experience is at all typical, what happens is that soon weed doesn't do it for you anymore - you need something stronger. And so on.

Another factor is that as you start getting involved with drugs that brings you into contact with the drug culture and people who are stuck in it. My experience was that such characters didn't give a damn about me; they were prepared to see me do all kinds of insane stuff just for a laugh. I got involved with them already feeling worthless, and hanging around them just made things worse.

You will do what you will do, and I hope you will feel able to continue talking about this regardless of what direction you go. We are here to help and offer ideas, but not to judge. I would just urge you to beware of the pitfalls.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#193345 - 12/01/07 02:26 PM Re: Marijuana [Re: roadrunner]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: roadrunner
Weed is not addictive

this was a great message from Larry, but I have to throw in my two cents.

Weed is not physically addictive. That only means that a person can not get physically dependent on marijuana. A person will not experience withdrawls if he stops using it, and a person will not build up a tolerance to it over time.

However, anything can be psychologically addictive, and people who have been through abuse tend to be especially prone to those types of addictions. We tend to be compulsive in doing things that make us feel better in the short term, and marjijuana was just the ticket for me.

Weed was my drug of choice. It helped me to master my dissociation problems like no other drug could. It made me paranoid enough to not act out. It kept me in check, and it made me feel normal. Quitting it was very hard. I had a $500 a month marijuana habit. I am an addict, and those days are gone.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#193680 - 12/03/07 10:21 PM Re: Marijuana [Re: Jarrad]
Lazarus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Below the radar, USA
Originally Posted By: Jarrad
here how i see the whole thing playing out... you smoke... you relax... you finally feel "normal" around people... you can't feel normal without it... you are able to have people touch you... leads to girlfriends... leads to sex.. so you think you cant do any of that without it. which means addiction. and addiction sucks.

A lot of people have said just what Jarrad said, but he put it so well that I have to second him. I smoked pot for a lot of years, to feel 'normal'; to alter my state of mind so that I could do things a 'normal' person could do but which I could not because of the aftereffects of my CSA... and so I became dependant on pot to feel 'normal'. It didn't help my recovery at all, it just postponed it for a decade or so.

Just my two cents.

Lazarus

#193684 - 12/03/07 11:21 PM Re: Marijuana [Re: Lazarus]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Thanks guys.... i havnt smoked in a while i got rid of what i had left and got rid of my pipe.... its not that i dont ever plan on smoking again but i dont want to be dependent on it or anything else for that matter. I took my first drink when i was about 13 my older brothers would give it to me. at the time i thought they were really cool but now looking back on it i see them thinking it was ok only because they use alcohol themselves to cope with their issues or to feel "normal" i dont want that. i dont want to feel "normal" I want to Be Normal so thats why i have decided to not do that stuff any more.

#193722 - 12/04/07 06:10 AM Re: Marijuana [Re: theatrekid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Chris,

Originally Posted By: theatrekid
i dont want to feel "normal" I want to Be Normal so thats why i have decided to not do that stuff any more.

That's about as quotable as they come. Good for you. It's not so much the issue of marijuana itself, but the fact that you looked at the question and opted for the path that you think is good for YOU. Well done!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#194309 - 12/08/07 12:59 AM Re: Marijuana [Re: roadrunner]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I heard that if people didn't use Marijuana, there would be a lot less cases of schizophrenia in this country. I don't know how true that is, but to me it suggests that the paranoia associated with it could be potentially permanent. Kind of like what Frost said that its dissociative effects last long after the buzz has ended.

I used weed when I was a kid at 14 -16, the it stopped working and started to make me paranoid, so I stopped using it.

Just from my experience, I used anything and everything that could get ahold of to deal with the depression and to help me forget or put me in a daze just to stop feeling anything. After abusing substances was gone I began taking extreme risks to deal with stuff. I guess an addiction can manifest it self in many ways.

Just make sure you are not using something for the wrong reason like abuse issues or depression. Just be careful and monitor your self. It is really easy to begin to rely on anything that promotes instant gratification.

my 2 cents anyway.

take care,
Logan

-Blade Runner

#194383 - 12/08/07 10:53 AM Re: Marijuana [Re: dgoods]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I think, like with anything, there is a line between abusing and using. I smoke sometimes, but very rarely. I don't think it hurts me any more than a cold one on a Saturday night. It's definitely no worse than hard liquor. But because it's illegal it gets this bad stigma. Thank you Barbara Bush.

I've never heard of a man beating his wife after a big bong load. Maybe beating a pizza to death, though. lol

Like I said, it's not an all or nothing thing to me. Yeah, there's some people (addicts, for example, or minors) that shouldn't use it, and situations that you shouldn't use it during (driving or work). But that doesn't cut out all of society. For adults, it should be their choice. I don't like the government dictating my personal life. >.<

Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.