Newest Members
squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous
12368 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12368 Members
74 Forums
63565 Topics
444123 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#193399 - 12/02/07 03:29 AM ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
I have ben haveing a lot of problems with sleeping lately again . It seems that my Shrink puts me on meds that work for a while, and then they stop working. I wish that there was a simple aunser .

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#193448 - 12/02/07 11:14 AM Re: ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT [Re: OKIE MIKE]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
Michael:
I can't say for you what might be a good answer. I can only say that for me, I changed med's. The new med. seems to be working much better. The side effects on my new med,Celexa, are so far minimal. Good luck. You might ask your T for a different med.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#193514 - 12/02/07 10:38 PM Re: ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT [Re: KENKEN]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Michael,

I would say it's worth referring this problem back to your therapist to see if some other medication might help you without affecting your sleep. It's so important to get good sleep.

But I wonder if there's also a second issue here. So many male survivors (including myself) go through a stage where they find it difficult to ask for the help they need. Reminds me of a joke where a guy comes into the doctor's office and says, "I have a serious pain in my arm", and the doctor asks, "Oh, sorry to hear that. How long have you had this?" And the guy replies, "Five years". Then a woman comes into the same doctor's office and says, "I have a serious pain in my arm", and the doctor asks, "Oh, sorry to hear that. How long have you had this?" And the woman replies, "Since this morning".

But beyond that it seems to me that survivors have difficulty asking for what they need, especially from a doctor or their T. Maybe we do that because abuse taught us long ago that whatever we needed would not be provided.

Anyway, I would just refer this problem back to whoever it was that prescribed the medication. Sometimes it takes awhile to get a regime of meds that works and allows us to function normally, but that should be our goal - to be able to function normally so we can face the task of recovery.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.