Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 87 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62510 Topics
438086 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#191543 - 11/15/07 08:43 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: Darren]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
I find him irritating, but b/c he's such a perfect target for Pat Robertson et al. in the sense of an emotional appeal- show an interview clip of Dawkins, and ask your average audience if they think he's an ivory-tower intellectual w/ no understanding of John and Jane Doe's daily concerns; most people just ask themselves "Why should I care what this guy thinks?"
Both sides tend to act as though what they say is so obvious, it's impossible to understand how anyone could think otherwise.
Maybe some are passionate defenders of their worldview, but there's plenty of folks who love seeing themselves on TV, too..
idk, i just get tired of perpetual "is not! is too!", people usually have their minds made up already, and no amount of effort will sway them. It's like marketing or politics, everyone's chasing the "undecideds".
eh, i'm sleepy, idk if i'm making any sense, early bedtime for me... \:\)

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#191545 - 11/15/07 08:52 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: dgoods]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm still trying to get Dawkins to prove to me that there isn't a teapot floating around in outer space...

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#191565 - 11/16/07 12:24 AM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: BJK]
Darren Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The High Seas
Originally Posted By: BJK
I'm still trying to get Dawkins to prove to me that there isn't a teapot floating around in outer space...

LOL! I think I could believe in that teapot... \:\)

#192432 - 11/24/07 08:22 AM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: Darren]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Well, the Flying Spaghetti Monster made the front of msn.com a couple of days ago... apparently this thread's ahead of the national-discussion curve \:\)

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#192477 - 11/24/07 01:55 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: BJK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Bryan,

How dare you! I mean...really...how DARE you! The teapot is only the prophet of the ethereal espresso machine.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#192496 - 11/24/07 07:01 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: roadrunner]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Ethereal espresso machine? I'll take a double shot when we find the teapot. The teapot is the "only true way" to reach the ethereal espresso machine.
Rick

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

#192511 - 11/24/07 08:30 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: BJK]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon

Originally Posted By: Darren
Name one war or atrocity that was committed in the name of atheism.

pure atheism is just as much a religion as pure theism.

Bryan

When a group decides that they are right in their beliefs and all else are wrong that group has crossed a line once that line has been crossed the group can and will abuse its power and do bad things.

when people follow the blind ideologies of an atheist they are doing the same thing as following the ideologies of a religious person.

but it is a mistake to say that atheism is a religion. it is an idea an idea that can have good and bad things come from it. and idea that can be distorted so that people can control but it is the people who twist the idea that form the religion not the idea itself.

although i am not a Christian and i certainly do not agree with many things that a majority of christians believe in. i can still see the good that a true Christian can offer to the world. i think the same should apply to all peoples beliefs.

Edited by theatrekid (11/24/07 08:32 PM)

#192578 - 11/25/07 06:11 AM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: theatrekid]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

You make some good points, Chris, but at the same time, I can see the good that atheism has brought to the world as well. At least, I know that atheist ideology has saved my life.

Of course, I have evoloved into an agnostic, but the time I spent as an atheist, giving up any belief in the possibility of an afterlife, was time well spent.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#193500 - 12/02/07 09:32 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: BJK]
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
sorry i'm late to this party. good comments by all.

bryan said "The trigger warning here is because I am an agnostic who is vehemently opposed to organized religion."

for me, i would modify it to say "I am an agnostic who is vehemently opposed to all the religions/sects that preach organized, systematic, covert hate and intolerance."

disclosure: i was sexually abused by my father, a man of the cloth.

i wonder if anyone here has some thoughts on their personal spirituality from a non-religious perspective. although the word spirituality is a bit off-putting for me; i mean that sense of inner self worth/purpose or whatever. i know my sense of self was shattered a long time ago and i'm still trying to find the pieces to put my puzzle together.

from another thread on this site, don't remember who posted this, but thanks whoever you are: http://www.jimhopper.com/mindfulness/

i've been looking at some of the buddhist practices. so far, all i can really relate to is that it's a non-deist belief.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  ModTeam, SamV 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.