Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (woodenshoes, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63427 Topics
443419 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#193341 - 12/01/07 02:02 PM The Butterfly Effect (triggers)
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Also, possibly some spoilers.

In this movie, Ashton Kutcher plays a guy who can travel back to become himself in his past to change events, but the events always seem to end up worse than the initial event caused him to end up. Most people on this board are probably familiar with one scene in particular where Kutcher's character travels back to himself as a boy to confront a pedophile.

This scene is triggering, and riveting. In the scene, he tells the guy off. He also tells the guy to stop abusing his son. The scene, as I remember it, then pans out to show the guy's son at the top of the stairway, around the corner, listening.

Of course, this is a classic case of a situation where the only attention a boy got was abusive. After this scene, the boy becomes very abusive, and he tries to enact revenge on Kutcher's character.

When I watched this movie several years ago, I was heavily triggered by this scene without knowing it. It was on several different levels. Now, when I think about the scene and its aftermath, I am triggered in a different way.

I think of my mother. She was a sickly child in an abusive family. No one wanted to touch her, and as a result, she felt jealous of the abuse all of the other children were getting. She vowed to treat her kids differently when she grew up. The problem was, she viewed the abuse as a healthy way to treat a child, and the abuse ended up perpetuating.

Of all of the movies I've watched over the years, The Butterfly Effect has had the most accurate portrayal of abuse and its after effects, even if it is only a minor subplot in the movie. Overall, it is an outstanding film. As easily as I'm triggered these days, it's one I don't dare watch again.

Bryan

Edited by BJK (12/01/07 02:29 PM)

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#193395 - 12/02/07 12:42 AM Re: The Butterfly Effect (triggers) [Re: BJK]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
oh yeah. i totally forgot about this movie and its SA scene. thanks for reminding me. it was pretty accurate. and not a bad movie over all.

#193407 - 12/02/07 05:49 AM Re: The Butterfly Effect (triggers) [Re: Jarrad]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
For me, this movie was extreamly triggering. I don't really know why that is. It just was and I don't think I will see it again

-Logan

-Blade Runner

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.