Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (Austintexan, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#193225 - 11/30/07 09:27 AM Anxiety and breathing
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I have been having very high levels of anxiety lately, and I'm going through my medication quicker than usual trying to keep it from making me miserable.

I have been desperately trying to "practice what I have preached", and it is no party. I find that my diaphragm remains constantly tensed, making it nearly impossible to breath properly. If I concentrate I can relax the tension in my diaphragm and breath somewhat normally, but I have to keep checking it for tension constantly. This "diaphragmatic tension", if you will, actually seems to be largely responsible for the anxiety itself. It's like it deliberately tenses up in order to prevent me from taking the deep breaths that will bring me to a calm state.

As I sit and focus on removing the tension from my diaphragm, I am slowly but steadily feeling that it is easier to breath and my anxiety level seems to be dropping as well.

I will try to keep this up and see where it goes.

I'm sure some of you must be familiar with the sensations I am describing.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#193282 - 12/01/07 01:36 AM Re: Anxiety and breathing [Re: cbfull]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Craig,

It occurs to me that the first thing I would do is ask myself why am I so anxious, and then try to get out of that situation. Perhaps try relaxing in a favorite chair and doing something that might calm you down. Put on music you like, get a cup of tea, whatever. I have found that when I am tense and anxious the trick isn't so much as to deal the anxiety itself as to address the causes of the anxiety and try to put myself in a better emotional place.

Just a thought.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#193314 - 12/01/07 09:38 AM Re: Anxiety and breathing [Re: roadrunner]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Craig,

I understand. It is very good practice. It helped me GREATLY.

The experience of a breathing exercise is incredible and calming.

Very glad for you.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#193322 - 12/01/07 10:56 AM Re: Anxiety and breathing [Re: roadrunner]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
In this case it is a result of my very high vulnerability to seasonal depression. You may recall me mentioning being very strongly depressed in another thread, and depression almost always leads to anxiety for me.

I started my daily light therapy to take care of the underlying depression, which worked almost immediately, and now I am of course dealing with the aftermath of anxiety. Focusing on my breathing and in particular, removing the tension from my diaphragm has really done the trick. I have been able to return my breathing to normal and the anxiety is under control (and I haven't taken any benzo's today).

I am feeling pretty good today.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#193324 - 12/01/07 11:53 AM Re: Anxiety and breathing [Re: cbfull]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Craig,

I'm glad things are looking up for you today. Remember these good days the next time things go all pear-shaped. ;\) It does help.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.