Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
5 registered (lapchinj, 4 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63431 Topics
443429 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#19319 - 01/14/02 04:46 AM Does Hypno Therapy work?
Broken Offline

Loc: Huntingtun Beach, CA, US
I keep hearing good things about hypno therapy and age regression. My therapist is catious, which kind of irritates me, but id like to hear your perspectives on it. Can it help you uncover lost memories? How much does it cost? Im pretty sure my medi-cal wouldn't cover it, but if it works i might want to try it. I'm guessing its pretty expensive, and i dont want somebody romping through my unconscience with abandon. How do you find a reputable hypnotist? I was thinking i could take a friend in with me, so i know that they wont abuse thier power or create memories where there are none. I have a tape recorder too, so that would be good. Well if you have any info, please post. You can e-mail if you like, but i odn't check very often. Thanks, bye.

#19320 - 01/14/02 08:28 AM Re: Does Hypno Therapy work?
Richard Gartner, PhD Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
I do not have personal experience with hypnotherapy for recalling memories or for age regression, though I am quite familiar with its use for helping people to gain self esteem, lower anxiety, overcome phobias, etc. What I do know about memories regained under hypnotherapy is that they are considered to be less likely to be accurate because of the suggestible state that a person is in when hypnotized. This can happen even if the hypnotist is being careful not to suggest specific memories. The patient may feel very certain that untrue memories recalled in this way are indeed true. For that reason, as far as I know, memories recalled under hypnosis are not admissable in many (perhaps all) courts of laws.

RIchard Gartner, PhD
NOMSV President

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: RichardNYC ]

#19321 - 01/14/02 05:19 PM Re: Does Hypno Therapy work?
Howaboutthis Offline

Loc: Manhattan
Then how does a therapist get a patient to recall memories of sexual abus witg=hout usibf hypnosis and why is this useable in court?

#19322 - 01/14/02 05:21 PM Re: Does Hypno Therapy work?
Howaboutthis Offline

Loc: Manhattan
Then how is a therapist able to get a patient to recall sexual abuse and why is that useable in court?

What IS useable in court?

#19323 - 01/14/02 10:47 PM Re: Does Hypno Therapy work?
Richard Gartner, PhD Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York, NY, USA
It is very important that therapists not push someone to remember abuse. If memories emerge in a treatment, that is fine. But therapists who push for memories, or, worse, suggest possible memories are doing a disservice to their clients. Unfortunately, memories sometimes do not return with clarity. This can be very frustrating, but as of now there is no foolproof way to get memories to return. As far as I know, memories that occur to a person before starting therapy will be given the most credence in a court of law.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: nomsv ]

#19324 - 01/15/02 12:58 PM Re: Does Hypno Therapy work?
contender Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Hi,

If you use hypnosis make sure that you are not guided by the therapist to remember specifically sexual abuse. That is, if you are having a problem with something and you are regressed to an earlier age and happen to remember sex abuse that is fine because it happened by itself. You won't have any doubts about it or at least not as many doubts as you would have as if the therapist suggested it whether it becomes a court case or not. Actually it is my impression that most people who were sexually abused ever brings a case to court. What is probably more important is if you get well in therapy so if you are remembering sex abuse and you are improving in your symptoms, life, enjoyment of life, self esteem, whatever, that is the best indication that it happened.

#19325 - 01/15/02 05:21 PM Re: Does Hypno Therapy work?
impishwit Offline

Broken,
I've done some hypnotherapy work, but I knew the therapist well and only used it to ease my insomnia before my memories surfaced.
I recently asked that very same hypnotherapist if she thought that it would be to my advantage to have some age regression work done, to help me uncover some of my lost memories from childhood. She replied that she thought that it would be much more healthy for me to just let the memories come naturally and not to push, otherwise it would upset the natural equilibrium and the 'inner clock' of my body. Everything is on its own time schedule, she said.
So, in my life, I'm just working with a therapist and talking to a good friend, that seems to help.
I hope that helps somewhat. Good advice from everyone else as well. ;\) Thanks.

Good luck to all,
imp

#19326 - 01/16/02 03:03 PM Re: Does Hypno Therapy work?
contender Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Hi,

So what does she talk to you about in therapy? Does she discuss the sex abuse with you or does she avoid that altogether.

Did she indicate how long it would take for memories to surface? What does she mean by an "inner clock". One thing you must do is determine what her plans are for therapy-if she is a real professional she should have a reasonable idea of what your difficulties are and how they can be approached and solved. It is nice to have a friend to talk to but she is more than a friend, she is someone you are paying to provide a service to you. She should know what she is doing.

I am mentioning these things because they are things you should be considering-don't settle for less. It is your life.

By the way John Bradshaw uses hypnosis in his practice to retrieve memories.

Good luck.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.