Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
5 registered (Jim1961, Esposa, Obi, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447715 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192782 - 11/27/07 01:41 AM PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!!
krayoss Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: west
PLEASE!! Beware that ANYTHING POSTED HERE can wind up in the most public of forums

Edited by krayoss (04/08/08 12:21 PM)

#192786 - 11/27/07 06:01 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! [Re: krayoss]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
There was a privacy statement but the link is down. So I don't know if there was anything in there about our posts being public domain. But I knew anybody could see the public forums. Thats how I decided I wanted to join.
------
yeah, I came up with posts I made all over the net in the course of my recovery. Not just stuff from here. I help with other groups too and some of those came up also. My mistake is I have been using this name for almost 10 years now. The hits from MS are from the public forums and not from the private members area. I'm not saying its right but I still post my most personal stuff in the members area. my post opening up after 25 years may help someone else that is still suffering. Its not that big a deal for me. Most people that know my screen name know I have had problems over the years, if they find my posts they know the truth. I'm not ashamed anymore, it happened and I'm not hiding it.
but I still didn't know we could google and get hits from here.
Peace
Rick

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#192787 - 11/27/07 06:27 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! [Re: GateKPR4]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

If it wasn't for google, I'd have never found this place.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#192788 - 11/27/07 06:31 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! [Re: BJK]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

are you refering to your -real name?or your screen name here???????????

#192790 - 11/27/07 06:46 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! [Re: BJK]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Anything posted on any site that doesn't require a password to view can be googled. I wouldn't worry about it unless alot of people know your screenname, in which case, I would PM Nathan or email webmaster@malesurvivor.org and have it changed. Don't open a new account because multiple accounts aren't allowed due to security concerns.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#192791 - 11/27/07 06:57 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! [Re: onlyakid]
Paul1959 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Male Survivor Public Forums is just that. And there is a disclaimer at the top of each forum that states
"Notice: All posts in this forum are viewable by the public."

Don't Panic. No one knows who you are unless you have used your full name to post. The public side of this site is immensely important. Thousands of guys have found this site from Google and start reading posts. Most guys would never register in order to read this stuff and it helps give them courage once they start reading.

Again, I understand the paranoia that everybody will know about "the secret" but it just won't happen. You are simply known as your screen name. If you want more privacy, pay to join the member's side and it is more secure.

Paul

#192792 - 11/27/07 07:26 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! [Re: Paul1959]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I had one concern and that I have taken care of. I just set my profile to private and now only my friends can see it. This was only due to all the pictures of my family that could identify me to an outsider. There are some people that I just don't want to know about my life. There is still some sick people out there that I would rather not deal with. I am more concerned about old cult members trying to find me. But I really don't think they will and it is wise if you belong to any other group where you use the same screen name take your personal identifiable information off the site.

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#192796 - 11/27/07 08:58 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! [Re: GateKPR4]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

As Paul says, at the top of each of the Public forums there is a disclaimer that basically says anything you post in the forum can be viewed by anyone who cares to look. If it can be viewed by anyone it can also be viewed by Google or any other search engine.

The same is not true of any posts on the Members side of the forums. They are not searchable or viewable by search engines or the general public.

John

Edited by walkingsouth (11/27/07 08:59 AM)

#192938 - 11/28/07 08:08 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! *DELETED* [Re: Paul1959]
krayoss Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: west
Post deleted by krayoss

#192942 - 11/28/07 08:24 AM Re: PRIVACY BREACH BEWARE!!!! [Re: krayoss]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Krayoss,

I can imagine your shock! But qe do have an important outreach function, and most of the guys who are now registered and using the site were first lurkers (as we call them) who came in anonymously and read for awhile before deciding to take the leap.

As someone else has said, you should assume that anything on the Net that doesn't sit behind a password can be googled. Personally speaking, I'm one of the many who found the site through Google.

If you have really private or confidential things to talk about, put them on the Members' Side or just PM a few trusted friends.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.