Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bob_dup1 (54), Carlos Gerardo (41), FERALFOO (48), Jolly Fisherman (59), Karl (62), MikeInFlorida (52), mizphit09 (37), oktobe_me (53), Yaoichan (22)
Who's Online
2 registered (bluesky, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#192550 - 11/25/07 12:38 AM Volunteering for CSA research?
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona

Would you volunteer for CSA research? If it was supervised of course?

I was thinking of heading down to the local college psych dept and offer
to be studied...

What do ya'll think?

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#192552 - 11/25/07 01:04 AM Re: Volunteering for CSA research? [Re: Frog]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Yes, I would be interested in participating in a study on male sexual abuse also. A few years ago, a University in Texas did a study in which some of us participated so I know there are a few (!!!) studies out there. A BoD member, Steve Vincent (SteveV) heads the Research Committee, perhaps he could help direct you somewhere. You might also try Murray Shane (current president) or Richad Gartner (past president) both are psychiatrists in NYC and frequently have access to who is researching where. I find that I discover more about myself (strengths/ weaknesses) when I join a research study. Good luck!!

As for going down to the local Psych Dept.? You can try...at least you could enlighten them about male sexual abuse and perhaps even spark their interest.

Howard

#192560 - 11/25/07 01:49 AM Re: Volunteering for CSA research? [Re: ScottyTodd]
Frog Offline

Wow... I thought I was CRAZY for even thinking of being a "guinea pig" ...

glad to hear I'm not alone Howard...anything that I can do to help our "helpers"
is fine by me...if they can gain insight that will further their understanding...

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#192596 - 11/25/07 10:01 AM Re: Volunteering for CSA research? [Re: Frog]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Any college or medical facility that does research with human subjects has to go through an IRB (Institutional Review Board) to look at the ethical aspects of the research and potential consequences to the subjects.

Generally, a grad student will develop a topic (such the impact of childhood sexual abuse on males as measured by the Beck Depression Inventory, for example), run it by the advisor for possibilities/flaws in methodology, etc., to the IRB, and a bunch of other steps I am not aware of. It can be a long process but all research needs willing subjects.

One consideration, Frog, since you are considering going into the field, is to research what has been done and what hasn't which could open an area for your own research.

Be aware that there are a lot of unpublished dissertations out there (I usually get a couple surveys to fill out each year which may be dissertation material) which stay only in the university department and the writer's desk. Might be a real interesting search to see what is out there and maybe even have it shared on the website. I remember that we had a pretty good research dissertation on the old MALE (predecessor to MS) website from Brandeis U.

Ken

#192601 - 11/25/07 10:22 AM Re: Volunteering for CSA research? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Frog,

One of the many things I learned at the NY conference was how difficult it is for a researcher to find enough willing subjects to come up with a good solid base. For example, one student just finishing her Ph.D. was studying various aspects of the impact of CSA based on only about 40 subjects (as I recall): 24 women and 16 men. So far as I can see that's hardly enough to produce meaningful results, though it might suggest some interesting possibilities that would be worth pursuing.

So sure, if survivors are willing to participate in studies and feel it would be safe for themselves, then it ought to be interesting and would certainly be a great service.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#192602 - 11/25/07 10:27 AM Re: Volunteering for CSA research? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Frog,

I recently came upon this great University-based research center in my geo area. It looks as if they do serious work there on CSA and other child crime matters. http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/ (if you dig a little, you'll find some interesting research based upon standardized secondary sources)

Last week I emailed the lead researcher, offering myself as a subject or guest speaker on perspectives of a CSA survivor.

I've discovered a numbed-out "mode" in which I can entirely switch-off emotion when discussing the CSA with any new person (doctors, lawyers, Dist Attys). I'm able to speak in very matter-of-fact terms....so I figure...what the heck...I'll see if I can help the future Ts of the world.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#192605 - 11/25/07 10:42 AM Re: Volunteering for CSA research? [Re: Still]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I participated in a study at John Jay College on the effects of CSA on men, a few years ago. There were an interview and some questionares to fill out. I don't know what became of it, hoping it helped. But there are studies out there that deal with male CSA.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#192613 - 11/25/07 11:57 AM Re: Volunteering for CSA research? [Re: onlyakid]
Frog Offline

A lot of the research papers I have found have a VERY LIMITED subject base...

most of them are less than 50 participants and do not contain a very diverse
ethnic base...

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.