Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (BuffaloCO, I Want 2 Thrive, ac9), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63191 Topics
441852 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192548 - 11/25/07 12:31 AM Realistic timeframe to recovery?
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona
Is there even such a thing?

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#192549 - 11/25/07 12:33 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: Frog]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
I'd say no, frog

Mike

#192553 - 11/25/07 01:13 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: mogigo]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
I tend to agree with Mike, here. The hard part with timelines is that everyone is different; has experienced different depths and intensity of trauma; address situations personally and differently; an a host of items that put us all in different places and on variously different time-lines. Treating sexual abuse victimization is not "one size fits all" but rather a process through which we each journey. That's why I encourage each person to focus on their own personal recovery instead of comparing ourselves to others around us.

Wouldn't it be nice to know you can cure and resolve the trauma from abuse in 25 sessions or less?

Howard

#192556 - 11/25/07 01:32 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: ScottyTodd]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Frog,

I would say no as well. We are all different as people, our backgrounds differ, and our abuse experiences are not the same. One issue that devastates me may not be all that important in your case.

It often happens that courts or medical authorities will grant a survivor a certain number of sessions, but that reflects only the financial politics, not the needs of the survivor.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#192558 - 11/25/07 01:44 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: roadrunner]
Frog Offline

Damn it...I don't want to spend any more time than necessary to recover...

I'm tired...

I just want to be well...

Functional not Dysfunctional ...

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#192561 - 11/25/07 01:53 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: Frog]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Frog,

Originally Posted By: Frog

You won't! You will make the moves and decision you need to make as soon as you are able and as soon as the time is right for you. I remember this impatient feeling too, and I found that when I could relax and be a bit more at peace with myself, that in itself helped me to move forward.

I also discovered that it wasn't the end of the world if things went slow or if I slipped now and then. Remember my thread about Fuck Recovery Day? \:\) There's some great stuff there, including a great poem by David (MemoryVault).

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#192562 - 11/25/07 01:53 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: Frog]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
I have learned that I cannot set expectations on a time frame for myself because its not 26-year-old Brian who's in charge of recovery. It's 6-year-old Brian who's in charge. It can seem like its taking so long, and occasionally seems like its going at a fairly good pace.

I have also learned that patience with the process is very important. There are so many times when I sound similar to you this night in that, all I want is for this process to be done with. I just want to proclaim that I'm healed and ready to move on. My impatience results on my being down on myself for not being where I want to be with it... Which in and of itself tends to be a trap that I think many of us get stuck in from time to time.

Things do get better. Hang in there Frog. You're doing well.

~Brian

#192563 - 11/25/07 01:57 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: roadrunner]
Frog Offline

Originally Posted By: roadrunner
Frog,

Originally Posted By: Frog

Remember my post about Fuck Recovery Day? \:\)

Much love,
Larry

One of MY FAVORITE posts... \:\)

#192566 - 11/25/07 02:01 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: Frog]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Frog,

Fantastic! Go back and reread it, if you will. I put in the link after I first posted my comment above. I think it will really help you to see how other guys allowed themselves to poke fun at this one. Sometimes a smile really does work wonders, especially if we can do it together.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#192567 - 11/25/07 02:01 AM Re: Realistic timeframe to recovery? [Re: frost]
Frog Offline

Originally Posted By: frost

There are so many times when I sound similar to you this night in that, all I want is for this process to be done with. I just want to proclaim that I'm healed and ready to move on. My impatience results on my being down on myself for not being where I want to be with it...

~Brian

WOW.... I FEEL that most of the time lately... and I'm sure the GF feels the same
as well, as she is becoming impatient as am I.... bless her for coming this far
by my side....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.