Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
6 registered (DaiseyLady, Johann, GT13568, Nothing Man, 2 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64186 Topics
447902 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#191994 - 11/20/07 12:27 PM wanting to post story
glad2beme Offline
New Here

My story has different sources of abuse including sexual physcial emotional and religious, while i really want to write it my shame fear and anxiety get in the way. Safety is the concern, and not wanting to offend others. Just want to be sure before i put my time into it that this will be the appropriate place for it. I appreciate your time and response.

#192000 - 11/20/07 03:11 PM Re: wanting to post story [Re: glad2beme]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Hi glad2beme,

I think most of our stories have a complex tangle of issues in them. If sexual abuse is part of your history, it doesn't have to be the only issue--or even the main issue in your life. Your story will be welcome here if you want to share it and feel safe doing so. (Took me a while!)

One thing I like about the "Survivor Stories" board is that it's the only one where there are no replies -- it's clear that you post your story for YOU, not for other people's reactions. Writing it out can be terrifying and empowering when the time's right.

Good luck!

David

Edited by MemoryVault (11/20/07 03:32 PM)

#192015 - 11/20/07 07:48 PM Re: wanting to post story [Re: MemoryVault]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi glad2beme,

Yes, it can be a very challenging and intimidating, frightening even writing out your story. I also have more than one source of childhood trauma including a certain amount of physical and emotional abuse at home which probably left me vulnerable to the SA from others. Write it out and post it when you feel you are able. If you feel it may be triggering to some of the participants here, put a "Trigger Warning" at the top and they'll know not to read it if they are feeling low.

It's your story. It's what happened to you, and it can be very healing to write it out and tell someone the things that have been kept secret for so long.

I wish you well as you think about this, Friend.

John

#192302 - 11/23/07 02:29 AM Re: wanting to post story [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
glad2beme,

Welcome to Male Survivor and I hope you will benefit from the many things going on here. it can all get to be pretty intimidating sometimes, so just take it easy and ease into things at a pace that leaves you feeling comfortable.

That especially goes for posting your survivor story. There's a special forum for those and there are no replies allowed, as David has already commented. But perhaps try writing your story out first and just let it sit for a few days - then decide if you want to post it. Just remember that this is YOUR information and that the aim is to help yourself; you don't owe anything to anyone else, but if the story is graphic please put a "trigger" warning on it.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.