Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (rolex, 2 invisible), 8 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64194 Topics
447978 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#180120 - 09/13/07 06:44 PM IBS irritable bowel syndrome.
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
Just thought I would pass this along about IBS irritable bowel syndrome.

I have been battling with my stomach for years and have had surgery to correct GERD, reflux. Gall Bladder removed also. Still no end in sight, I was about to give up when my wife asked me to see another Doc. He said I was depressed and offered to put me on Lexapro, antidepressant. I reluctantly started taking the med and it was like the craziest thing, my mind was a little out there for a week or so but my stomach problems quit very quickly. I got off the med as usual thinking I was cured and soon my stomach problems came back. Two weeks later I put it together, the Lexapro helped my stomach. I got back on the med and my stomach/bowel problems are gone.

I looked it up by googling “lexapro and irritable bowel syndrome” and found that it is being used successfully for IBS according to some medical journals.

Side effects for me and I hope the go away, difficulty having an orgasm and a little foggy in the head.

I hope this helps,

#180195 - 09/14/07 05:12 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: John Oarc]
beccy Offline

Loc: england
Hi John,

Just wanted to share info about the success of Homeopathic medicine for ailments such as these. Not sure where you are situated/the availability of that kind of alternative health-care, but would HIGHLY recommend it. Regular consultation with a good Homeopath and accurately prescribed remedies can be unbelievably successful.

I used to suffer with IBS, along with a whole host of other ailments, including intolerance to wheat/gluten.......I have been seeing a Homeopath now for about 2&1/2 years and guess what? It seems my ailments have GONE. In fact, the IBS went away very quickly as I recall. And that's without the foggy head/orgasm difficuty, or any medication messing with my mind!.....

I also have used it for:
teething with my little boy,
for injuries/ physical recovery,
post labour trauma,
headaches,
shock,
coughs, colds, flu etc
daughter's aggravated behaviour..

..I could go on, but you get the general idea!

I am aware there also resources on the net, such as distance consultations etc, although I don't know the validity of these. Face to face is most likely the best idea for a first timer, but in the event of that not being available, the former might be worth a try,

peace
Beccy

#187680 - 10/17/07 07:45 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: beccy]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey guys just wanted to update you on the IBS story. I came off the Lexapro because of the side effects. I can say it is not easy coming off, plus like a goofball I went cold turkey and felt the brain zaps and the wierd feeling for a week or so. After doing some research I called my MD and asked for levasin:

Levsin (hyoscyamine) is an anti-spasmodic that relaxes the muscles of the gut and prevents spasms.

This seems to be working very well, as for the homeopathic meds; I live in a small town with very little to offer so I am sorry to say that I am too lazy at this point to try the alternative route due to the amount of travel time it takes.

I hope this helps,

Edited by John Oarc (10/17/07 07:47 PM)

#188381 - 10/22/07 05:33 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: John Oarc]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
John,

I have this too. I used to take Levsin and Levbid. I've been taking Lomotil for the past few years.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#188470 - 10/23/07 02:25 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: FormerTexan]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Levsin spaced me right out. My ex used to take lexapro, i didn't know about the IBS positive side-effect, though. Lomotil seems to be a pretty good long-term med for it, idk if you'd have a medical issue that would preclude that option...

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#188473 - 10/23/07 03:12 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: dgoods]
pain4ever Offline

uhh ohh....i just started taking lexapro.

#188475 - 10/23/07 04:40 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: pain4ever]
duncanUK Offline
MaleSurvivor

i was watching a documentry a little while back about IBS and one person on there had tried those live yoghurt drinks that are on sale these days and it worked...

i dont know if it works for everyone thou.

i hope this helps.

#192282 - 11/23/07 12:46 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: duncanUK]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Update:

Levsin, Lexapro, did not pan out at all for me but guess what did?

You will not believe how crazy this is. For twenty years, since I joined the military and beyond I have worn a belt. My problems began at this time and I can only explain it as a tactile stimulation, tight belt, tight fitting cloths around my mid section. My body just got used to having a belt tightened around me. I did not use a belt before the military but have used one since that time up until two days ago.

I realized that I felt terrible all day and could not wait to get home, where you guessed it I took my belt off. I thought I just hated work and driving, bending over etc. but it has been the belt, it is the first thing I take off when I get home, at home I relax and let it fly but when I am dressed for going to work or going out I wear tight fitting "around my mid section" cloths and a belt tightened around my gut.

My mouth, above the belt my rectum below, how did I think I was going to move normally with a tourniquet blocking off the path. Gas, bloating, constipation diarrhea you name it I was miserable. My head felt like it would explode and I felt like I would pass out at any minute at least once or twice a day. I started putting two and two together and most of the time I never feel like this at home, no belt.

Posture is also playing a role in this, flexed over puts a kink in your gut; it also drives the zyphoid process into the junction between your stomach and esophagus – the pointy bone at the end of your sternum “breast bone” driving or sitting at a desk all day in a flexed posture can also cause these problems.

Hope this helps,

Oh yea, I eat activia "don't know the exact name of that yogurt" and it is great but not wearing the belt has been the key for me.

I feel like a new man.

Edited by John Oarc (11/23/07 12:49 AM)

#192455 - 11/24/07 11:24 AM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: John Oarc]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

http://users.chariot.net.au/~posture/

Here is an interesting link about posture, tight belts etc.

Hope this helps,

#192490 - 11/24/07 04:37 PM Re: IBS irritable bowel syndrome. [Re: John Oarc]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

By the way,

My signs and symptoms with the tight belt deal:

Felt like I would pass out or wanted to sleep after eating a meal. Had a headache and or felt a tightness in my neck and head. Felt fatigued all the time except at home reclined back in a chair "without a belt on I might add, tight pants can do the same thing."

Began feeling like I did not like work or driving a car, "belt on and flexed over posture in both places."

Began feeling that I had a phobia of work or being out of the house, began doubting myself and my ability to do anything that required added attention.

Began hating to do any extra work or extra task, just wanted to get home and sit in a reclined position.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.