Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (Tiger1982, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63117 Topics
441398 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#192155 - 11/21/07 11:22 PM Being a survivor and seeing doctors
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I have psorasis and have light treatments 2-3 times a week. I recently learned that my brother had 2 pre-melonoma growth removed and that my mother, and father both have had melonomas removed. Light treatments have skin cancer concerns, I am now concerned about my chances of getting a melonoma or skin cancer. However my demotogolist while very experienced in the treatment of psorasis has many patients to see and tends to be rushed during appointments, therefore with me not being assertive, sometimes things I want to tell him don't get said, so I guess that is a quality that I should be looking for in a doctor, one that has/makes time for their patients. Are there any other things that survivors should look for in doctors?

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#192167 - 11/22/07 03:39 AM Re: Being a survivor and seeing doctors [Re: onlyakid]
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
Hi jtt5254,looks like we have something in common, I have Psoriatic Arthritis. I have not tried the light treatments. You may want to write down your family's medical history for him, and ask him do you need to be concerned about it. Have you tried looking for info on the Internet? http://www.psoriasis.org I also found this on yahoo, Psoriasis - Home Treatment and Phototherapy for psoriasis

I wish you success with your treatment.
Clifford

#192280 - 11/23/07 12:42 AM Re: Being a survivor and seeing doctors [Re: lostcowboy]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jason,

It was difficult to do this at first, but I now always tell a doctor I am a survivor. Usually they are very receptive and understanding and in return I am looking for things like this:

1) A willingness to answer my questions and address my concerns.
2) Care not to walk behind me without telling me.
3) Telling me what s/he is about to do, especially when it comes to touching me in any way.
4) Attention to whatever medication I may be on before prescribing something new to me.
5) Understanding that undress may be an issue for me.

Doctors tend to get very busy these days, Jason, and if you can do it I think it would help you to try to be more assertive with your doctor. You are the patient and you have the right to have your questions answered; if the doctor wants to rush you out the door, just state you have a few questions and before you go you need to have them resolved.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.