Newest Members
pjmd, j_f1974, Dan234racer, ajax, marmill252
12431 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
8 registered (pattom, 7 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12431 Members
74 Forums
63839 Topics
445786 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#289614 - 05/30/09 11:58 PM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I just moved into my new apartment yesterday. I decided to stop at the dvd store and see what movies I could find since I no longer have cable. I found this in the cheap used bin and decided to get it. I happened to stumble upon the trailer a few months ago and found it very triggering, but one of the reasons I decided to move was the fact that I had to hide any emotion tied to the abuse whatsoever.

Anyway, what I'm getting at it is I was curious to see what it would bring up. While I had to pause and collect my thoughts several times, I found the most triggering scene to be when the guy is making the kid swear into the microphone. My brother used to make me swear for his entertainment and it just brought back all those memories of swearing to get attention at home but then being scolded everywhere else.

Anyway, I thought it was a good movie.

#290604 - 06/07/09 08:37 AM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: Riley]
Timmy Offline

i watched this movie yesterday i was killing myself crying, it is too difficult to watch, i wish i hadn't watched it

#290717 - 06/07/09 11:52 PM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: Timmy]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I saw this one about a year ago. It was a bit difficult to watch because of the CSA content. But because the abuse was not similar to what I experienced, it didn't trigger me very much.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#291001 - 06/09/09 09:16 PM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: pufferfish]
Matt0487 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Mysterious Skin is a brilliant film indeed. I find it interesting that most people in this thread/forum seem to relate to Neil. When I was watching the film, Brian's story was especially triggering. The memory blackouts and the emotional withdrawal were very poignant for me. I would also say that Neil and Brian are me at different stages through my life. At one point I was Brian (still am partially)...lost in a fog that abuse has taken me. For a time I was asexual...like him. Everyone else could see the pain...but I couldn't feel it myself. Now, I am more like Neil (Especially before therapy but still today as well). I start to feel affection from a guy and I feel like the only way I can get it is through sex. Like Neil, I objectify myself and try to dodge my feelings through orgasm. I think I am in control. But like Neil, I am falling apart when I succumb (luckily I havent acted out with sex in a year...almost did last night but didn't)

To me...Brian and Neil represent two stages of my dysfunction.

Matt

#291022 - 06/10/09 02:31 AM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: Matt0487]
coaster Offline

I also just rented a film called Swimming Upstream, about an abusive father and his family in Australia. A couple of really triggering scenes, but a powerful film because the boys 'win'.

Coaster

#359328 - 04/11/11 01:59 PM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: coaster]
Fissy Tsickens Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Bassett, Virginia
Okay, I'm very late coming to this thread, but anyway...

Yesterday my wife and younger daughter went up to my older daughter's college to bring her some stuff, and my son was over a friend's house, so I was home alone. I decided it would be a good time to watch "Mysterious Skin," which was posted in 8 parts on youtube.

Today I'm still a little shell-shocked, I think. I was glad it was broken down, so I could take breaks throughout and process. I actually threw up twice watching it, once during the scene where Neil is beaten and raped; it was very triggering for me. Though not beaten, the rape and abusive comments and names were so much like what I experienced, the last time I was abused at 15. It's weird; it was so horrible, but I'd watch it again, I think. Maybe not right away.

Still processing...

Peace,

John

About a home Iíll never see

It may sound absurd...but donít be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but wonít you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
Itís not easy to be me

#359362 - 04/11/11 09:23 PM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: Fissy Tsickens]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey John,

All and all I think it's worth watching. I personally found it healing once the shell shocked passed.

And for what it's worth, I tool have puked during triggering movies.

#359460 - 04/12/11 07:12 PM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: CarnagedOntology]
Jbt419 Offline

Loc: fl, usa
i love that movie

"I'm nobody who are you?" "Do you know what it's like to feel so in the dark?" "its no good at all to see yourself and not recognize your face out on my own its such a scary place the answers are all inside of me all i got to do is believe" "Bruises fade but memories last forever"

#359495 - 04/12/11 11:39 PM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: Jbt419]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I watched this again several weeks ago. This time it was very triggering. I got very involved with it emotionally. I think it was more triggering to me because my defense system has come down a whole bunch. This is good for me but it leaves me more vulnerable to stuff.

Allen

#360448 - 04/22/11 05:35 AM Re: Film - Mysterious Skin [Re: pufferfish]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
I own the DVD. I've watched it twice and came to the same conclusion each time. Its brutal, parts are dreadfully real, its a major trigger-fest, and at the end, all I'm left with is tears, fears and hate. I find no progressive therapy in that.

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.