Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
1 registered (traveler), 28 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64014 Topics
446752 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#191797 - 11/18/07 01:59 PM A deep sadness
Maynard Offline
MaleSurvivor

When ever I read a book or watch tv and something sad, or happy, happens to characters I feel an overwhelming sadness. I somtimes am on the verge of tears over the littelest things. I have been holding my emotions inside for so long I don't know how to let them out. If I try to bring the sadness to the surface I can't, but when I read or see something with emotion it all comes to the surface for a couple of seconds and then the pain slips back to where it came from. I just don't know how to bring the pain to the surface and release it.

"Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning." Mahatma Gandhi

#191805 - 11/18/07 03:12 PM Re: A deep sadness [Re: Maynard]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Maynard,

You are not alone with this problem. Many if not most of us have been there or are there. Part of the problem you are experiencing is the way you learned to cope with your childhood trauma. As abused kids, we took the blame, shame, disgrace, etc., as best we could. We had no idea what to do with it, it hurt, but we carried bravely on, putting on the happy face when inside we were dying or dead. We knew no other way of coping.

We were taught that boys don't cry so we didn't. Now, when we so desperately to our loss, we find it impossible to do so, but the only way to healing and the other side is to be able to. We need to be able to go right through the middle of it, shed the tears that have needed to be shed for so many years, say the angry words that have needed to be said, and slowly, with true understanding, let go of the things that need to be let go of. It's the only way to genuine healing.

My suggestion would be to work on this issue with an experienced therapist if you have not. He/she can be an invaluable resource on your journey.

I wish you the best, Friend.

Lots of love,

John

#191806 - 11/18/07 03:48 PM Re: A deep sadness [Re: WalkingSouth]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Maynard,

I will echo what John said. I also cry at movies. Sometimes I have so strong feelings that even crying them out for a long time does not help to feel good.

We as survivors have got very many feelings in ourselves, not turning them into emotions, fearing and not being able to, and not showing the world our real hurt and pain. They find their way through crying.

I usually think about my tears as the tears my little inner child has about my emotionless life. I also cry for him and his sadness and loneliness.

I hope you will contact and befriend your little one. A T will surely be a solid help in your journey.

Alexey

Edited by alexey (11/18/07 03:51 PM)
(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#191865 - 11/19/07 03:02 AM Re: A deep sadness [Re: alexey]
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
Sometimes I leak tears during happy parts of movies. It took me a while, but I think it happens because the movie makes me realize, I didn't have that growing up.

Sometimes when me and the wife are watching a movie, I will laugh during a sad part, and she will say why are you laughing. I say I am laughing so I wont cry. I am a BIG BOY, and big boy's don't cry!

Take care,
Clifford

#191868 - 11/19/07 05:39 AM Re: A deep sadness [Re: Maynard]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Before I opened up about the abuse I never had reactions by reading or movies.
Two songs "Everybody Hurts" By REM was always a trigger for tears, and the
theme from "A beautiful Mind" Jim Brickman. If you like piano its a wonderful song.
Now that almost everything is out in the open at home and with close friends I have been getting emotional about many thing. I listened to this show on NPR "This American Life" about a 21ty man and his first sex partner who by chance meet later in life when they are much older. I cried during that and I would guess that is because I could understand what they were feeling.
Anyway below is a couple links for two other threads about feelings that have been active this weekend.
peace
Rick
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...true#Post191809

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...true#Post191770

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

#191871 - 11/19/07 05:47 AM Re: A deep sadness [Re: GateKPR4]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

i too-------------am in the same boat---------------sometimes -i want to hurt myself to let the tears out------------------but i dont --------------------but i get the thouights--------my best for you--------and hoping you can cry-------------------steve

#191885 - 11/19/07 11:23 AM Re: A deep sadness [Re: sabata]
newmangreg Offline
New Here

This is amazing I actually sized my crying up to being without a father in the home most of the time I am crying because of human triumph, tragedy, and overcoming of adversity. Also when reunions of any sort take place i.e... Siblings, parents, families, and friends. Whether it is a cartoon, fiction or most definitely real life events I get filled up with emotion. I do not hold back the tears I just know it is what happens. I believe it is cause because there is the ability to closely relate the same emotions with what has happened. I consider it to be a blessing because I am empathetic rather than sympathetic and as we all know that will make a big difference with helping others to deal with their life situations.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.