Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64153 Topics
447637 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#191699 - 11/17/07 01:11 PM How sad
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
This was on yahoo new's page. What a sad state of the world we live in seeing as divorce seems to be the "norm" anymore.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071117/ap_on_re_us/child_abuse

#191702 - 11/17/07 01:26 PM Re: How sad [Re: James_dup1]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm sorry, James, but I have to pipe up here.

This article is complete rubbish. It tries to place the blame of child abuse where it truthfully doesn't belong. It tries to tell us that children in co-habitating families are more likely to be abused when the fact is that these children were just as likely to be abused before the issues that caused the co-habitation to take place occurred. Plus, it completely ignores the fact that children are much less likely to disclose abuse that is perpetuated by their biological parents than they are to disclose abuse by a parent's boyfriend/girlfriend or stepdad/stepmom.

I'm also very disappointed with the "evidence" that was cited. If an article is going to cite a study, the author has some sort of responsbility to supply some of the data that went into the study instead of just saying, "David Finkelhor's uncited evidence gives this opinion". What the article fails to mention is that this same David Finkelhor has also published several studies that say that as many as 40% of abuse perpetrators are women, yet this article consistantly places the blame on men.

I want to see some data that I can make an attempt to refute, not just posting some opinions on some people who are allegedly experts in the field. There is no evidence of anything in this article. Just improperly cited gibberish.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#191703 - 11/17/07 01:35 PM Re: How sad [Re: BJK]
James_dup1 Offline

Bryan,

No need for sorry man. Thats what makes this web site work..each of us different in our ways. \:\)

James

#191704 - 11/17/07 01:42 PM Re: How sad [Re: James_dup1]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, James. I was hoping you wouldn't be offended, but as I read the article, I just kept getting more and more angry.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#191705 - 11/17/07 01:44 PM Re: How sad [Re: BJK]
James_dup1 Offline

Nope not at all... I understand what your saying..what I got from it is that it's kind of a new number they are tracking and like all new stats it always starts off screwy.

James

#191706 - 11/17/07 01:55 PM Re: How sad [Re: James_dup1]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Got angry reading it too, I'm a single Father.

My darling, sweetest, most innocent, precious Mang doesn't need stereo types making her life harder.

Mike

#191707 - 11/17/07 01:58 PM Re: How sad [Re: mogigo]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Reminds me of the vampire syndrome

Mike

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.