Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (Logan, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64031 Topics
446838 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191153 - 11/12/07 03:09 PM Give the child a voice
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Ever since I came back from Alta, the boy in me has really wanted to talk more. This keeps coming up in emotional images.

Saturday after work, I was being my introspective self and noted that I kept conjuring images of loneliness and rejection in my mind's eye. I was like, where are these thoughts coming from? So instead of trying to ignore them like always, or instead of trying to numb them out, I wrote down as much possible detail as i could on the image I had in mind, and I shifted from "you" to "I" after 3 stanzas of poetry. then I went on and on about the imagery: rejection, loneliness, disdain from others, bullied by others, kicking a rock on the way home from school, etc. Putting this stuff down on paper gave me a way to give the child a voice.

This imagery was now in paper form, and with Micro$oft Word, I was even able to put a small pictorial here and there to be creative with the thought. Getting those images on paper, into poetry, even clumsy poetry, helped a lot. The only attempt I made at the poetry for style was making lines 2 and 4 of each stanza rhyme. It almost has childish vocabulary in it. I tried to think in terms of what words I would use at 8 or 9yo, not at 42yo. Give the child a voice.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#191229 - 11/12/07 10:10 PM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: FormerTexan]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Well, at least i don't feel so weird for watching tons of old sesame street and electric company on youtube..

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#191231 - 11/12/07 10:20 PM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: dgoods]
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
OMG love electic company...didnt know you could find them on youtube.... HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:\)

#191238 - 11/12/07 11:08 PM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: James_dup1]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andy,

I can relate to what you say. Often times when I'm having difficulty coming to grips with some emotion or other troubling thing I grab my laptop and write. It usually comes out as a fictional short story on the theme of what is bothering me. By the time I've reached the end I usually have a much better grip on whatever the issue is.

This has been especially important to me in being able to pay attention to what Little J is wanting to tell me.

Glad this exercise was a benefit to you.

Lots of love,

John

#191835 - 11/18/07 08:31 PM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: WalkingSouth]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Electric Company was one of my favorites also, maybe I'll have to let that inner child out and go watch some youtube.
Were gonna turn it on ..... were gonna bring in the power....la la la.. :-D

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#191840 - 11/18/07 09:17 PM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: GateKPR4]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Guys, I'm shocked. Everybody knows Electric Company ain't near as good as Sesame Street.

:P

John,

I think fiction is a great way to work out those feelings. Fiction or not, writing it down can be key sometimes.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#192339 - 11/23/07 06:37 AM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: FormerTexan]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
lol, Oscar was like my Dad, a grump, Ernie & Bert were funny. I liked Ernie because he was such a cutup. I guess at that time I could really relate to him because I was in that family role at the time. Being the 3rd of 6 kids in an alcoholic home I had the opportunity to play a few text book dysfunctional family roles. PBS was how I learned about life, how to be kind and treat others. I learned quite a bit from from PBS shows. when I got older NOVA was always one of my favorite shows.
Rick

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#192350 - 11/23/07 09:00 AM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: GateKPR4]
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Gate,
Isn't that the truth about PBS showing how to treat people when the family fails to do so.

Andy,
Sorry Electic Company stomps Sesame Street LOL ELECTRIC COMPANY RULES!!! Sesame Street drolls :P Maybe we should put it to vote LOL

James

#192376 - 11/23/07 02:07 PM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: James_dup1]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
You guys must be really old cus i have never even heard of electric company... lol no offense

,Chris

#192380 - 11/23/07 02:40 PM Re: Give the child a voice [Re: theatrekid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Andy,

I think allowing Little Andy a voice is so important. As he sees he can speak without negative repercussions I'm sure he will be willing to tell you more and more. And that ought to help in all sorts of ways. I look back on the bad days myself, and I can see how closely guilt and shame went along with the enforced silence.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.