Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Jeremy (29), john22 (31), just starting (58)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64183 Topics
447873 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#190926 - 11/11/07 10:39 AM should have been said a long time ago (triggers)
sportinrucks Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
Funny, not really but, I have a gorgeous body, beautiful face, I stare at myself in the mirror and I dont see it. Somebody told me it takes alot of soul searching to find out that your not a piece of shit.

Anyway reading Victims No Longer by Mike Lew, was like razorblades cutting through me. Rough, I got to the 3rd page.

#190929 - 11/11/07 10:46 AM Re: should have been said a long time ago (triggers) [Re: sportinrucks]
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Yeah thats a hard book to read, isnt it? And I would agree with your friend it does take a lot of soul searching to figure that out.

James

#190930 - 11/11/07 11:07 AM Re: should have been said a long time ago (triggers) [Re: James_dup1]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
I just saw myself in the mirror the first time the other day, I'd heard alot of survivors say that they can't look at themselves in the mirror and I'd think well I don't have that problem. But just the other day I realized I could look myself in the eye but I was always doing it from a third person type of view. I was looking at some guy, not me. Well I saw myself in those eyes the other day, it was hard and scary, but it was an eye opener (pun intended) \:\) It was hard to transfer my pain into those eyes.

When I started reading "Victims" I put it on my shelf after the first few pages and when I'd walk by the shelf I'd actually take a step away from it. Scary indeed.

Stay strong
Mike

#190947 - 11/11/07 12:12 PM Re: should have been said a long time ago (triggers) [Re: mogigo]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sport,

I got to the chapter about self esteem.

When I was reading that book, it would trigger me quite heavily. But it did so in a way that I didn't realize right off the bat. I'd tend to sit, thinking to myself several hours later when the stuff I'd read started to hit me. That made me not realize why it was that I would get so depressed.

But then I got to the chapter on self esteem, and it ripped me apart.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#190956 - 11/11/07 12:52 PM Re: should have been said a long time ago (triggers) [Re: BJK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Alex,

Mike Lew's book is a rough read for all of us, I think. But I think what he says about self-esteem is some of the most important material in a book that's crucial every single page.

Perhaps it will help you if you look at Victims No Longer as a road map for your future rather than as a guide to what you have lost in the past. I keep thinking of what Mike Church (a former mod) used to tell us: "The present and future are where we have to live the rest of our lives."

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.