Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
5 registered (Going forward, journey4two, Dave PNW, 2 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63397 Topics
443261 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#190959 - 11/11/07 01:01 PM Re: canning my t ??????????? [Re: sabata]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Steve,

While I guess there is more to the story than what appears in your summary, I think she has crossed an important line in threatening a termination of your therapist/client relationship unless you do one particular thing over Thanksgiving - just because she demands it. That kind of "my way or the highway" thinking has nothing to do with therapy.

And in any case, is she forgetting who is working for whom? Yep, I would walk away from this T, but not from therapy itself. Perhaps see who else you can a bit after the holiday.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#190961 - 11/11/07 01:19 PM Re: canning my t ??????????? [Re: sabata]
Darren Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The High Seas
Steve, I looked at your Therapist's website. Red flags for me were her affiliation with Dallas Baptist University and the American Association of Christian Counselors. I don't mean to get a reputation as a religion basher on the board, but I was a born-again Christian and a member of the Baptist church so I think I have some experience here I can talk about. It sounds like she is pushing church teachings in her counseling sessions with you. It sounds straight out of a bible study. "Help those less fortunate than yourself" is a theme that runs deep in this church. But religious teachings have no place in counseling. I'm sorry if I've offended you or anyone else on the board by saying this, but I think you should get therapy from someone not associated with a religious group. Even if you are religious. I just know these people have a hidden agenda (sometimes not so hidden) so be careful.

Edited by Darren (11/11/07 01:22 PM)

#190979 - 11/11/07 02:54 PM Re: canning my t ??????????? [Re: Darren]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

yea-my last t----------was relogious connected---------he even brought god into my sessions-----------------saying i could not be helped unless i accept god and go to church------------so i left him-------this one seemes to be to pushy--------------------------------thanks for the replys----------------i have mycircle meeting tonight---------------will throw it out there-for responses--------------------steve

#190980 - 11/11/07 02:55 PM Re: canning my t ??????????? [Re: sabata]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Steve,

Raising this in your circle is a great idea. I'm sure you will get some useful feedback.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#190983 - 11/11/07 03:29 PM Re: canning my t ??????????? [Re: roadrunner]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Steve,

I think you shoud tell her about what you feel after her insisting on this.

Tell her everything that you can and watch for red flag.

If a therapist becomes more than just a trusted partner in healing, then what would a client is about to be?

Mine is good. However, she told me she would like to write an artile with her - after 3 or 5 years in the future. So, it made feel good at the time, but after giving it a thought I decided that ifshe ever would bring up that question I would make her know I am not going to becone a co-authir with her. I work with a therpist, not a fellow researcher.

The next session went without her mentinoning it. She seems understanding and I think she is above an "average" line of therapist skill. That is the reason I will come to see her the next time.

Tak to her. Trust your gut feeling. Therapist's work is being a TRUSTED PARTNER in healing.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#191025 - 11/11/07 06:52 PM Re: canning my t ??????????? [Re: sabata]
healing_inside Offline
MaleSurvivor

Steve,

Cannnnnn her.

Give it a shot doing it on your own, but look into this other lady in the meantime as a back-up plan if things get rough on your own.

Take Care, Jim

*** WoR Retreat Alumni - Alta 2005 ***

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.