Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#189577 - 11/01/07 10:51 PM so i had a good day, right?
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
so i had a good day, right? met for lunch with a friend, got a lot accomplished at work. got home and for once no WW III going on.

then we go to the Eagle Ceremony of a friend's son that my son used to be in scouts with. lots of people haven't seen for quite a while.

one kid walks in, sees his brother across the room and they grin WIDE, almost run across the room, shake hands, then HUG tight. the smiles on their faces were radiant.

and me? i'm doing a rapid boil that's threatening to explode. my wife asks what's wrong - i make some stupid statement about being hungry (which i was, but wasn't the problem)

so not only am i gonna get triggered by "bad" scenes - happy ones are gonna set me off??????

i should just stay under my bed.

m

#189587 - 11/01/07 11:24 PM Re: so i had a good day, right? [Re: MarkK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Mark,

Happy scenes can trigger us too, yes. Especially if they remind us of things we have missed or lost. It took me a long time before I could bear to walk past a high school where guys were walking around in groups as friends - it reminded me of how I had isolated myself for so long, even from guys who really did just want to be my friend.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#189588 - 11/01/07 11:32 PM Re: so i had a good day, right? [Re: roadrunner]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Mark-
Thanks for posting. It made me remember what i hate more than a nightmare... the "wish-fulfillment" dream, the dream where i was never abused, my childhood was happy, i never hurt people i loved, save the day, get the girl, and live happily ever after.
Then i wake up...

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#189589 - 11/01/07 11:39 PM Re: so i had a good day, right? [Re: dgoods]
trusty Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Indiana, USA
Mark,

All I can say is...I totally understand.

Russ

#189593 - 11/02/07 12:26 AM Re: so i had a good day, right? [Re: trusty]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mark,

When I see kids that are happy...kids who are raised properly...kids who get a chance to enjoy childhood...I have to fight tears. Yes, I feel jealousy, but I don't know what's worse: the jealousy, the sadness, or the fact that I hate myself for being selfish.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#189625 - 11/02/07 05:17 AM Re: so i had a good day, right? [Re: BJK]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Every time I seen a child it would trigger memories, didn't matter if the child was happy or sad. It was like this nightmare that would not end. But after talking with my T this seems to be passing and is not happening so often. Last night while I was at the drug store there was a little girl crying with her dad by the restrooms.
I thought "that bastard is abusing her" then I understood that she got hurt by the auto closing door to the rest room. then I was OK. But Halloween went by and it was a joy to see the kids and their parents having so much fun. I hardly thought of my own abuse at all that night. That is a step forward for me.

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#189652 - 11/02/07 10:52 AM Re: so i had a good day, right? [Re: GateKPR4]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
Mark:
I too understand that not only bad memories trigger me to fall apart and cry like a baby. Out of no where I see small kids playing together and I can't help but tear up cry. Sure wish I could control my emotions, but guess that will take lots of time and more therapy.

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#189841 - 11/03/07 05:10 PM Re: so i had a good day, right? [Re: KENKEN]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Thanx, all of you. I was beginning to think I was hopeless, had crossed the line of no return - all because happy things are now triggers as well as sad/angry/unhappy things.

Once again- good to know I'm not alone.

M

#189863 - 11/03/07 09:27 PM Re: so i had a good day, right? [Re: MarkK]
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
Mark - sometimes the happy scenes are the worst! We know how they can go wrong! It's sort of 'look how happy those kids are having such a good time'. Then you remember how you didn't have such a good time. You don't want that to happen to those kids, so it triggers you!

Best wishes ...Rik

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.