Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (woodenshoes, VASurvivor, bcl092, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#189559 - 11/01/07 08:02 PM Higher Power: (possible triggers)
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

The trigger warning here is because I am an agnostic who is vehemently opposed to organized religion. I don't believe in God because no one has ever shown me any proof, and I don't believe in atheism because...well...no one has ever shown me any proof.

The following is a portion of a letter I wrote to my sister recently that pretty much sums up my belief system:

Quote:
I tend to humor (my aunt) a lot when she mentions the "higher
power" in AA and alanon talk, but the reason why I can't accept AA or alanon
is simply because I don't believe in that kind of stuff. I truly believe,
T____, that I've made it this far in life due to my own strength, and when it
comes to my self esteem, that's really all I have to hold on to. If I was
to let myself believe that some imaginary force was guiding me along at my
lowest points, I'd have given up a long time ago. There was a time in my
life where I did give up. I pulled myself out of it. Hell...I'm still
pulling myself out of it.

Edited by BJK (11/02/07 01:07 PM)

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#189584 - 11/01/07 11:04 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: BJK]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Thanks for posting. I'm more than happy to engage in rational discourse concerning spiritual beliefs, but if someone obviously won't let it rest until i agree w/ them, i'll withdraw from the discussion, or humor them. I don't care if you're a deist, a theist, muslim, wiccan, mormon, scientologist, or if you believe the Divine Will may only be properly ascertained through careful analysis of Oprah's hairstyle changes over the length of her career; if you don't attempt to convert me, i won't attempt to disillusion you. This isn't meant to be snarky or inflammatory, or to insult or demean anyone else's beliefs- but if you want to argue about it, there are plenty of other websites and people more than happy to wrangle for hours about religion, or politics, or any other hot-button issue you can think of. I'm here to heal myself, not to play "my belief system can beat up your belief system". I haven't experienced any problems around this yet, this just my way of pre-empting the possibility of mistaken assumptions, as well as letting Bryan know publicly he's not the only agnostic male survivor here \:\)

Edited by dgoods (11/02/07 04:00 PM)

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#189621 - 11/02/07 02:18 AM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: dgoods]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I can respect that \:\)

Oh, and I love the word "snarky". Gonna have to figure out a way to use it in a sentence one of these days!

#189665 - 11/02/07 11:42 AM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: dgoods]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: dgoods
I haven't experienced any problems around this yet, this just my way of pre-empting the possibility of mistaken assumptions, as well as letting Brian know publicly he's not the only agnostic male survivor here \:\)

I'll put my name down for that, too.

#189675 - 11/02/07 12:37 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: MemoryVault]
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Put me down for that too guys!

"I never told my religion, nor scrutinized that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change anothers creed. I have judged of others religion by their lives, for it is from our lives, and not our words, that our religions must be read." - Thomas Jefferson

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#189809 - 11/03/07 12:56 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: kellygtx]
SEVEN ARROWS Offline
MaleSurvivor

I do not believe in a higher power, but i respect those that do.

#189901 - 11/04/07 08:16 AM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: SEVEN ARROWS]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I was in AA for almost 5 years. I just cant do it anymore, I am not powerless, I am not hopeless, and I have the right to express my anger and emotions. I do not wish to convert to any system of belief HP God collective conscience....I also don't have to live with guilt, shame , and fear that one 12 step program instills in it's members. It's my life and I made it this far by a strong will to survive, and I'm not giving my will to anyone or anything ever again.
A pedophile took my will for a year and it was hell getting it back. So I have always had problems with the HP thing. Sorry for venting, didn't think it would trigger so much in me.
Rick

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#190255 - 11/06/07 08:31 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: GateKPR4]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Originally Posted By: GateKPR4
I was in AA for almost 5 years...... So I have always had problems with the HP thing. Sorry for venting, didn't think it would trigger so much in me.
Rick

Rick I can relate totaly to what you say about the 12 step ideas.

One thing that I found helpful was what my advocate told me about that word, GOD

Mark told me to think of it as GOOD ORDERLY DIRECTION

wHICH MAKES IT A LITTLE EASER TO ACEPT

#190456 - 11/08/07 12:33 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: Muldoon]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Muldoon,
My issue with the word God is I can't seem to erase the negative concept that has been repeatedly pushed on me since childhood and still gets promoted today. Living in the south does little to help.
Creating acronyms to change the meaning of words is to me deceptive.
Was it not deception that kept us isolated for so long? I know this is true for me.
To an outsider Good Orderly Direction means just that "Good Orderly Direction" not GOD. When I hear those words today I think of God. Do you see what has happened here?
It's still God but the definition has been changed. This is just a little to freaky for me.
Rick

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#190459 - 11/08/07 01:14 PM Re: Higher Power: (possible triggers) [Re: GateKPR4]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I believe that there is a God, but one thing is for sure, God helps those who help themselves.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.