Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
2 registered (AlexBoyd, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63179 Topics
441784 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#189212 - 10/30/07 11:10 AM i've been medicated...
jf Offline

i've been having several panic attacks a day for the past couple of days so my doctor has put me on paxil... has anyone else tried this? i'm pretty frightened to take it.

#189214 - 10/30/07 11:24 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
*possible triggers*

I've been on Paxil, nothing to worry about biggest side effect atleast for me was delayed ejaculation. It also MAY take 2-3 weeks to fully work.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#189218 - 10/30/07 11:47 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: onlyakid]
trusty Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Indiana, USA
I was on Xanax for panic attacks. It worked very quickly. The only side effect was sleepiness.

Another thing you can try is controlled breathing. Concentrate on your breathing. Take in a large amount of air. Hold it for six seconds, conciously. Slowly let it out. Repeat this several times, slightly decreasing the length of time you hold the breath in, until you feel yourself begin to relax. If you are a visual person, try to close your eyes and imagine yourself in a beautiful place (beach, open field, etc.) while you take these breaths.

I wish you peace in working through this difficulty. I've been there. It will get better.

Russ

#189224 - 10/30/07 12:14 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: trusty]
jf Offline

thanks guys
he also put me on a beta blocker which i found pretty weird haha i'm 21
apparently it 'can' be used to treat anxiety like symptoms as well

#189225 - 10/30/07 12:14 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
jf Offline

ps. i'm totally gonna do that breathing thing

#189233 - 10/30/07 12:52 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
jf,

I'm on Toperal (beta blocker) which workds very well. When I was on Paxil, I became so tired I could not function. I now carry Xanax for anxiety attacks and flashbacks.

Rob

Still's Globs

New Video

#189243 - 10/30/07 02:42 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: Still]
River Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
Paxil is a good med. Commonly used for anxiety and depression. Give it a try. Zanax can be addictive, I would try to stay away from the addictive meds.

#189245 - 10/30/07 02:54 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: trusty]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: trusty
Another thing you can try is controlled breathing. Concentrate on your breathing. Take in a large amount of air. Hold it for six seconds, conciously. Slowly let it out. Repeat this several times, slightly decreasing the length of time you hold the breath in, until you feel yourself begin to relax. If you are a visual person, try to close your eyes and imagine yourself in a beautiful place (beach, open field, etc.) while you take these breaths.

If you don't mind Russ, I'd like to add something to this. When you "hold" your breath, it must be held in a specific way to maximize the effect. If you are closing your mouth when you hold it like if you were about to go under water, your lungs will be slightly pressurized which will squeeze the blood away from your lungs, and you won't accomplish very much. In fact if you get lightheaded it will probably make you even more anxious.

The way I have been doing it is very similar to a long, sustained yawn, where I do not close the air passage and trap the air in, instead I hold the air passage completely open. The point is to make sure that I am getting maximum blood flow throught my lungs to expel built up CO2, which greatly exacerbates anxiety symptoms, and can even induce panic.

I have been using the breathing technique regularly to help control my anxiety levels and it has always worked, however if you have been in an anxious/terrified state for many days or weeks, it might take up to a half hour or more to reach a reasonably calm state.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#189255 - 10/30/07 03:48 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: cbfull]
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
I would agree with everyone else here. I've come to terms with the fact that I can't live life without medication. If I run out or it I forget to take my meds, I get very anxious, moody, and depressed. Things I can blow off on medication makes me angry enough to blow if I'm not taking my meds.

Herbs have also been very helpful for me through the years. An herb called Passion Flower is very calming in a pinch without leaving me feeling medicated. But there are all kinds of herbs that may help at different times. I think I have "Euro Calm" at home--it has valarien root in it which really stinks (literally), but it works if I'm having trouble sleeping.

Talk therapy plus medication is very helpful to me. If you find the dosage is too strong or doesn't work for you, don't be afraid to tell your doctor. I had to experiment for a long time before I found the combination that worked for me. It's like wearing glasses. Some people may not need them, but I do.

Take care of yourself.

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

#189264 - 10/30/07 04:13 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: ForeverFighting]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
I have alcohol/drug issues, so for me any med w/ potential for addiction/abuse is kinda off-limits. I don't think Paxil should be a worry that way. My ex told me of getting hooked on Xanax, when she was prescribed it for her severe anxiety/panic attacks, she's been on Klonopin since, which also has strong dependence/addiction potential, but it manages her anxiety, and she never seemed to take more than prescribed, other than times of very high stress. It's always a case-by-case basis, but i just wanted to mention the risks- you know yourself best, don't be afraid to get your MD's opinion on any of what's been mentioned, if you think something sounds promising.

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#189267 - 10/30/07 04:34 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: dgoods]
sportinrucks Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
i reccomend a program called attacking anxiety and depression by Lucinda Basset its a twelve week/ twelve step self help program. Its Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Its hard work but very well worth it in the end.

#189273 - 10/30/07 05:15 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: sportinrucks]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
jf,

I had such tremendous problems with illicit drugs when I was young that even the thought of taking "drugs" again for any length of time seemed very scary to me. But Forever_Fighting makes a valuable point when he says that sometimes we just have to admit that the medication is what we need.

I hope you will commit to your medication and stick with it, but at the same time, if you have any problems or side effects just tell your doctor right away. You may also find that your doctor has to try several different combinations before you get to one that's right for you. That doesn't mean you are failing or that your doctor is incompetent - it's just that emotional problems are difficult to treat and sometimes it's hit or miss until process of elimination gets you to the right medication and doses.

I hated the idea that I was "back on drugs" at first, but it was the medication that restored my sense of balance and calm and allowed me to focus on the real work I needed to do.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#189294 - 10/30/07 08:07 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: roadrunner]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
I agree with what everyone has said... I had sever panic attacks as well. My doc put me on Xanex initially until my other med (celexa - same class as paxil) could take effect. I was worried about the addictive properties of Xanex, but once the celexa was at appropriate levels, I stopped the Xanex without any difficulty (and I am a recovering alcoholic...so I was doubly scared) The most important thing to realize with paxil is that it will not be immediate, but don't stop suddenly... stopping can cause more axiety and depression... if you decide to stop, you need to do it slowly... talk to the Doctor of the pharmacist who dispensed it... they will have a lot of information on it.

I also have problems with delayed ejaculation... it's like you had a few too many drinks and can't finish easily - they actually prescribe SSRI's for men who have premature ejaculation so they can last longer.... I found the positive outwieghed the negative...

Good luck
Dan

Marge Simpson

#189295 - 10/30/07 08:13 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: roadrunner]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

i dont see-the meds i take today-----------as related to the drugs and drinking----of my past that ruined my life--------------------------my present meds help me keep on a even keil--------------------and ward off the depression------------------drinking- made my depression worse

#189374 - 10/31/07 11:02 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: dgoods]
jf Offline

thanks a lot guys i'm actually feeling a lot better already since i've starting taking that stuff and doing the breathing stuff. The beta blocker must be keeping my panic attacks at bay cause its way too early for the paxil to be doing very much!

#189376 - 10/31/07 11:07 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
jf Offline

i'm actually pretty glad that i went to the doctor and asked for something because i was also on the verge of turning back to illicit drugs to help calm myself down. I'm going to try and stop to self-medicating with booze now too. I feel like i need to be the picture of health while i'm on this stuff!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys!

#189458 - 11/01/07 05:58 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
jf Offline

hey guys another question,

how long were you guys on stuff like this? i don't like the thought of taking this stuff and i don't want to get into a situation where i'm dependent on a medication. I've only taken it for like two days and i think i'm going to stop.

j.

#189460 - 11/01/07 06:26 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jf
i don't like the thought of taking this stuff and i don't want to get into a situation where i'm dependent on a medication. I've only taken it for like two days and i think i'm going to stop.

Please don't bail out now! If you have managed for two whole days you can manage two little weeks! The first time I was put on an SSRI (it was zoloft), I felt just as unsure as you are right now. In fact, I sat and stared at the pre>

#189497 - 11/01/07 12:28 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: cbfull]
jf Offline

hmm...yea i guess you're right
how long were you on them craig?

#189500 - 11/01/07 12:47 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Are you sure you want to know?

I can't exactly remember when I started, but I do remember I was waiting tables at Max & Erma's when I took the first one. I think it was 1998, so that makes 9 years. That's a lot longer than I thought. Well it doesn't matter because I was able to enjoy life again and stop thinking about what's wrong with me.

To say that they cause "dependency" is not correct. I just realized that it wasn't a perfect fix, and life was much better on it.

About a half a year ago I added a certain anti-parkinson's drug to my daily SSRI that prevents dopamine in my brain from being destroyed, leaving much more for re-use. I started feeling my sex drive go way up, and my confidence did too. The addition of the second drug gave me the confidence and motivation to start dealing with things, but without most of the fear and fatiguecaused by the SSRI alone.

If you want I can give all you guys a crash course in "Neurotransmitters 101" so you can better understand what changes you are making by taking the SSRI. That might help you to understand how it greatly reduces your anxiety but also your sex drive, makes you crave carbs, makes you want to sleep more and lay around the house, etc.

Let me know.

Craig

#189760 - 11/02/07 10:33 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: cbfull]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
craig, i don't mean this in a flippant way, but i have to tell you that you're making SSRIs sound a lot like weed, (other than weed trashing your short-term memory and making you more anxious/paranoid overall)reduces sex drive? craving carbs?(well, i know THC's action isn't the same, in that it acts on the part of the brain that indicates satiety) makes you want to sleep more, and lay around the house? Hmmmm...
All joking aside, could there be a connection, in that potheads (like i recently used to be) are chasing the closest thing they can find to the relief an SSRI can provide? I'm no neurochemstry expert by a long shot, but it just struck me.. reminded me of endorphin receptor/opiate connection.

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#190018 - 11/05/07 08:17 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: dgoods]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Those certainly are some interesting similarities, I have read some studies that say cannabis has some antidepressant activity in low doses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.