Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
1 registered (Cthulhu), 66 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63111 Topics
441349 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#189212 - 10/30/07 11:10 AM i've been medicated...
jf Offline

i've been having several panic attacks a day for the past couple of days so my doctor has put me on paxil... has anyone else tried this? i'm pretty frightened to take it.

#189214 - 10/30/07 11:24 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
*possible triggers*

I've been on Paxil, nothing to worry about biggest side effect atleast for me was delayed ejaculation. It also MAY take 2-3 weeks to fully work.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#189218 - 10/30/07 11:47 AM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: onlyakid]
trusty Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Indiana, USA
I was on Xanax for panic attacks. It worked very quickly. The only side effect was sleepiness.

Another thing you can try is controlled breathing. Concentrate on your breathing. Take in a large amount of air. Hold it for six seconds, conciously. Slowly let it out. Repeat this several times, slightly decreasing the length of time you hold the breath in, until you feel yourself begin to relax. If you are a visual person, try to close your eyes and imagine yourself in a beautiful place (beach, open field, etc.) while you take these breaths.

I wish you peace in working through this difficulty. I've been there. It will get better.

Russ

#189224 - 10/30/07 12:14 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: trusty]
jf Offline

thanks guys
he also put me on a beta blocker which i found pretty weird haha i'm 21
apparently it 'can' be used to treat anxiety like symptoms as well

#189225 - 10/30/07 12:14 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
jf Offline

ps. i'm totally gonna do that breathing thing

#189233 - 10/30/07 12:52 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: jf]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
jf,

I'm on Toperal (beta blocker) which workds very well. When I was on Paxil, I became so tired I could not function. I now carry Xanax for anxiety attacks and flashbacks.

Rob

Still's Globs

New Video

#189243 - 10/30/07 02:42 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: Still]
River Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
Paxil is a good med. Commonly used for anxiety and depression. Give it a try. Zanax can be addictive, I would try to stay away from the addictive meds.

#189245 - 10/30/07 02:54 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: trusty]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: trusty
Another thing you can try is controlled breathing. Concentrate on your breathing. Take in a large amount of air. Hold it for six seconds, conciously. Slowly let it out. Repeat this several times, slightly decreasing the length of time you hold the breath in, until you feel yourself begin to relax. If you are a visual person, try to close your eyes and imagine yourself in a beautiful place (beach, open field, etc.) while you take these breaths.

If you don't mind Russ, I'd like to add something to this. When you "hold" your breath, it must be held in a specific way to maximize the effect. If you are closing your mouth when you hold it like if you were about to go under water, your lungs will be slightly pressurized which will squeeze the blood away from your lungs, and you won't accomplish very much. In fact if you get lightheaded it will probably make you even more anxious.

The way I have been doing it is very similar to a long, sustained yawn, where I do not close the air passage and trap the air in, instead I hold the air passage completely open. The point is to make sure that I am getting maximum blood flow throught my lungs to expel built up CO2, which greatly exacerbates anxiety symptoms, and can even induce panic.

I have been using the breathing technique regularly to help control my anxiety levels and it has always worked, however if you have been in an anxious/terrified state for many days or weeks, it might take up to a half hour or more to reach a reasonably calm state.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#189255 - 10/30/07 03:48 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: cbfull]
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
I would agree with everyone else here. I've come to terms with the fact that I can't live life without medication. If I run out or it I forget to take my meds, I get very anxious, moody, and depressed. Things I can blow off on medication makes me angry enough to blow if I'm not taking my meds.

Herbs have also been very helpful for me through the years. An herb called Passion Flower is very calming in a pinch without leaving me feeling medicated. But there are all kinds of herbs that may help at different times. I think I have "Euro Calm" at home--it has valarien root in it which really stinks (literally), but it works if I'm having trouble sleeping.

Talk therapy plus medication is very helpful to me. If you find the dosage is too strong or doesn't work for you, don't be afraid to tell your doctor. I had to experiment for a long time before I found the combination that worked for me. It's like wearing glasses. Some people may not need them, but I do.

Take care of yourself.

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

#189264 - 10/30/07 04:13 PM Re: i've been medicated... [Re: ForeverFighting]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
I have alcohol/drug issues, so for me any med w/ potential for addiction/abuse is kinda off-limits. I don't think Paxil should be a worry that way. My ex told me of getting hooked on Xanax, when she was prescribed it for her severe anxiety/panic attacks, she's been on Klonopin since, which also has strong dependence/addiction potential, but it manages her anxiety, and she never seemed to take more than prescribed, other than times of very high stress. It's always a case-by-case basis, but i just wanted to mention the risks- you know yourself best, don't be afraid to get your MD's opinion on any of what's been mentioned, if you think something sounds promising.

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.