Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63220 Topics
442070 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#189098 - 10/29/07 06:39 PM resources without insurance?
knifael Offline
New Here

Does anyone know if there are non-profits or any resources where you can seek therapy, particularly including EMDR without having insurance or any sort of payment for them?

A friend told me to check into getting help through graduate programs at the university here?

Any advice?

michael

#189127 - 10/29/07 09:12 PM Re: resources without insurance? [Re: knifael]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
if you are gay, the gay and lesbian centers offer both groups and individual therapy on a sliding scale.

#189130 - 10/29/07 09:31 PM Re: resources without insurance? [Re: Jarrad]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
If you are Streight a lot of mental haelth clinics offer a slideing scale

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#189142 - 10/29/07 10:29 PM Re: resources without insurance? [Re: OKIE MIKE]
Paul1959 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Call the rape crisis help line. Virtually every county in the country has one. They have free help and are experienced with abuse - often with at least one trained in male SA. At the very least, it is a place to start. This is a long journey so look at the long term. If you have to spend a couple years with one of these therapists before you get insured to go private, it's perfectly fine - or you may never have to do that. The Rape crisis center will have a whole host of help for you - support groups etc. You are courageous. Thanks for taking care of yourself and getting the help you deserve.
paul

#189168 - 10/30/07 01:38 AM Re: resources without insurance? [Re: Paul1959]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
check your local papers for places that offer such services. in my town there is a family center that provides counseling based on funding by the United Way. I'm not sure if they offer EMDR or not but it was a place to start for me. I only found out about the organization because I went to a concert that was put on by them. They have fundraising concerts from time to time and they've been able to get some big name artists to come to town virtually free of charge then they make $$$ off the ticket sales. So check into things like that and you never know something might turn up.

#189253 - 10/30/07 03:40 PM Re: resources without insurance? [Re: frost]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Thanks everyone, i've been wondering myself, thanks to knifael especially for doing what i often forget to do... "just ask".

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#189795 - 11/03/07 11:40 AM Re: resources without insurance? [Re: dgoods]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Michael,

dgoods raises a great point. As survivors we often find it difficult to ask for what we need. That's because we learned a lot of false lessons as boys - we came to think that our needs and fears didn't matter, and that asking for what we need will just get us rejected and lead to even more hurt.

But that was always a false idea and it still is. Whatever you want to ask about here, just let it fly. Then try to do the same in your everyday life as well. That will really help you.

On your specific question here you already have some good advice. I would just add that in your phone book you will probably find a child abuse hotline you can call. They won't mind if you call them as an adult, and they will probably have other numbers they can direct you to for information about the possibilities open to you in your state and local area.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.