Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64154 Topics
447645 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#188936 - 10/27/07 04:20 PM Re: First EMDR treatment today [Re: BJK]
River Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
Bryan, Keep humming.:>)

#188941 - 10/27/07 04:37 PM Re: First EMDR treatment today [Re: River]
Danbuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY state
I want to say congratulations on the progress I am reading about the theraputic process for all of you. I am not an expert but have researched the value of EMDR as well as written a paper on it in grad school, and know there is enough science to support it and it can be highly effective for overcoming PTSD. I want to stress the importance of a qualified therapist who practices fidelity in doing the therapy. In other words they must be highly trained and skilled in that intervention. I also have heard from a psychologist who is certified in EMDR that it is not good for multiple traumas.. He lectured just a week ago and I recall it vividly. I guess I want to throw in a message of caring that it is wise to be certain the therapist is certified in EMDR therapy. And by codes of ethics, no therapist should ever engage in a treatment they are not fully trained in and comfortable and competant doing, regardless of the efficacy. I encourage you to ask direct questions about that training. But again, it is wonderful to hear that there is hope and there is help.
Be welll guys,
Dan

#188950 - 10/27/07 07:12 PM Re: First EMDR treatment today [Re: Danbuff]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I don't know if there have been any substantial changes in the training since I got certified nearly 15 years ago but I know that you need to be a licensed clinician and have done the two levels of training.

Ask the potential EMDR person about his training to be sure you are getting someone who has had both levels. The first level is fine for doing EMDR with someone whose trauma is not complicated by Dissociative Identity Disorder or Borderline Personality. Those more complex diagnoses are covered in the second training.

Your EMDR T was right on in my opinion to spend so much time for you to find a decent place that you feel relaxed. While the "safe place" is not necessary to do the EMDR, it is helpful if the person gets upset through the process that he can go to a calm scene. Self-soothing is better than the therapist trying to get you calmed down because what s/he thinks might be relaxing and calming for one person might not work with another.

It is pretty amazing stuff.
Ken

#188958 - 10/27/07 08:24 PM Re: First EMDR treatment today [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

sounds to scarey for me

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.