Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447691 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#188782 - 10/25/07 09:31 PM what do I do know?
KR Offline
New Here

After two years of not talking me and my ex-fiance are talking again. He is a survivor and has recently admitted to me that he is not doing so well. He has talked about suicide and feeling empty. I don't know what to do for him, I am scared to talk to him about it for fear it might send him into a fit of anger (it's happened before) but I don't want him to hurt himself. He has quit his job and bought a houseboat in Amsterdam. He says he is living like a hermit. He has had two more failed relationships and tells me he knows the next one will end in failure. I think he needs to talk so a professional, but how do you approach someone who's already been through so much?

#188786 - 10/25/07 10:17 PM Re: what do I do know? [Re: KR]
mmac Offline

Loc: PA

KR,
I am sorry for your pain. Sounds like your ex reached out to you as a reliable source.
How to help him????
All you can do is recommend that he seek out a professional as soon as possible. Remember, this is his recovery (or lack there of) and there isn't a single way you can do it for him. Sorry, but that's a fact.

All you can do is be a friend and be honest with him. He honestly needs professional assistance. What he is experiencing could be Depression and that is something that a well meaning, caring person (like yourself) is unable to handle alone. You can be there to talk to him, to laugh with him, to listen to him, but he needs a professional to get through this kind of pain.
Please urge him to contact a therapist or even his family doctor is a start. I don't know if you have such a thing in your area, but a crisis hot-line can even be a source of help.

We can help you with our own experiences but if you truly want to see him be successful in his recovery, strongly suggest he gets a therapist. It is his choice to do so or not.
You are in my prayers, please know that you are not alone and we are here to talk.
There are also some great postings on Therapy, Depression, etc. Take some time to read these. They can also be a great source of information as well as comfort.
M:)

I cannot take your steps, but I can walk beside you, if you'll let me.

#188834 - 10/26/07 01:19 PM Re: what do I do know? [Re: mmac]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Take a look at:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/consumers-guide.html

Healing is usually not a do it yourself project. Shop around for a T who can help him/you.
Ken

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.