Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (Sonata1, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64028 Topics
446831 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#188719 - 10/25/07 06:50 AM Re: Startle Response - Shame [Re: copenbay]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Might I suggest that you get a mirror to see behind you while you are at your desk?

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#188721 - 10/25/07 07:47 AM Re: Startle Response - Shame [Re: BJK]
Kent Offline
New Here

Loc: Denmark
Hey..

Man, I know that situation too, it soo sucks when it happen, but as someone else suggested, it can be for any number of reasons, "they" don't really need to know the real reason.
Usually I blame it on being caught up in my own thoughts, working on the tasks at hand, so i simply dont notice others around me.

But yeah, it is kind of embarassing some times (especially when you 've dropped the coffee in your lap TWICE in the same morning)

/Kent

#188735 - 10/25/07 11:06 AM Re: Startle Response - Shame [Re: Kent]
River Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
Thanks Guys!

I really like the suggestion regarding humour and getting a mirror. I had forgotten that at a previous employer, I had a mirror on my desk... I think I will use that strategy again.

Being gentle with myself is something I hear from supportive friends a lot. I take myself too seriously and can really be hard on myself. I'm sure many in this forum can relate.

The other thing that was pointed out to me by some of my support outside this forum, is that many non-PTSD/non-survivors often have the same reaction when someone sneaks up behind them, that this response may not be so "abnormal" after all.

Peace

#188745 - 10/25/07 02:20 PM Re: Startle Response - Shame [Re: River]
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hey River,

I never thought of a mirror, but there was a time when this was such a problem for me that I put a sign up at my doorway. It said, "Warning, contents under pressure. Please knock before entering or speaking. Thanks."

This worked well to remind people, most of whom had seen me jump at least once already. Sometimes, I'd just hear someone laughing when they read the sign and I was warned that way.

And it's not abnormal at all. It's quite common actually.

DOnald

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.