Newest Members
brainstem, Serendipity, lionking, stymie, Broken1968
12545 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AbuseSurvivor90 (25), Danbuff (58), scottc (54), usccabum1985 (30)
Who's Online
3 registered (manipulated, Logan, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12545 Members
73 Forums
64413 Topics
449877 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#188499 - 10/23/07 07:54 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: pain4ever]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
pain4ever,
I read somewhere that not only are kids taller overall, they're hitting puberty earlier, too- it mentioned something about changes in diet, and new parents being much older, on average...

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#188503 - 10/23/07 08:11 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: dgoods]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

hey, I want to hear more about this "long index finger" thing.......! \:D

#332343 - 05/28/10 11:14 AM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: dgoods]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: dgoods
pain4ever,
I read somewhere that not only are kids taller overall, they're hitting puberty earlier, too- it mentioned something about changes in diet, and new parents being much older, on average...

This is true. It's in reputable text books. It's disconcerting. It may be due to a combination of high levels of sugar in the diet and the amount of light we are exposed to (artificial illumination & TV, etc.). It may also be influenced by the prevalence of antibiotic treatments for diseases of the young.

pufferfish

#332401 - 05/28/10 05:39 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: BJK]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
And my first abuser.

I think I will put the plausability of this study on hold, pending confirmation from a source that isn't probably a crackhead vying for government grants.

#332405 - 05/28/10 06:04 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: MrEdd]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
We are biological beings- our essence doesn't exist in some land of cloud. When we eat the food goes inside us. To think our brains must activate.

Why should it be suprising that science can study the activation of the brain to different stimuli? It would be strange if science could not do that- it would then in effect imply that we can exist without our brains.

They are mixing their words. We are biological creatures, so our thoughts can be seen by biological indicators. This doesn't imply a genetic predispostion. It just means we are biological creatures. There may be no "biological basis" (genetic predisposition) to be a paedophile, but by the fundamentals of science there sure MUST be biological indicators (but not the stupid things that the article has been talking about- like physical appearance)- otherwise we are all walking around in a land of dream. It is a distinction that must not be confused. It is a fundamental distinction between cause and effect. Scientists must be vigilant in identifying the difference between cause and effect.

It is good if this can be studied. There may be a way to disrupt whatever neural process that makes somebody attracted to children. It is no surprise that we can look at this as a biological thing- because like i already said we are biological. Anybody who thinks that our thoughts are independent of the biology of our brain also think that we can think without our brains. Some people may believe that idea in one sense- but even if there is life after death i don't think the mechanism of thought is in anyway the same.

A lot of the research i see coming out is not being presented properly. That is damaging and dangerous. Also everybody should be careful when trying to "predict" behaviour in a person due to biological indicators- that is a dangerous road to go down. I think, mostly, by the time information on such a touchy subject reaches us outside the realm of the hardcore scientific community it has been twisted to provoke sensational reactions, or misinterpreted by people who don't understand or don't want to understand.

I also think that a lot of research i see is often very moronic- but that's just my opinion lol. As a scientist i am always very critical of work i see, and i am never happy with accepting anything until i see the research myself, so maybe i am hard to please, or maybe i am doing what we should all do more- question.

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#332407 - 05/28/10 06:11 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
No one knows what percentage of men are pedophiles, but Cantor said it
is a uniquely male condition and that his group at the centre assesses
250 to 300 men a year who are suspected of being pedophiles.

PLEASE say i have taken this quote completely out of context. I have read the post a number of times and i can't see what else he could be referring to.

Is Cantor saying that only males are pedophiles?

Like i said i know i must be reading this wrong or taking this out of context. But somebody reassure me? I don't think even this guy who seems to think all left handed people are more likely to be pedophiles can be this stupid.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#332443 - 05/29/10 12:18 AM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Originally Posted By: dgoods
pain4ever,

This is true. It's in reputable text books. It's disconcerting. It may be due to a combination of high levels of sugar in the diet and the amount of light we are exposed to (artificial illumination & TV, etc.). It may also be influenced by the prevalence of antibiotic treatments for diseases of the young.

I'm sorry if two completely separate issues were confused here.

The issue of pedophilia being biological is a completely separate issue from the accelerated growth and maturity rate of the young in today's world.

pufferfish

#332467 - 05/29/10 09:03 AM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: pufferfish]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Lewis:
I think you have to take into consideration that the quote
Quote:
No one knows what percentage of men are pedophiles, but Cantor said it
is a uniquely male condition and that his group at the centre assesses
250 to 300 men a year who are suspected of being pedophiles.

is not from an article that Cantor may have done but a news report of it. As one who has had numerous hours of conversation with reporters only to find my "brilliant" quotations taken out of context and paraphrased to something barely approximating what I was talking about.... take it with a grain of salt. The reporter, who likely knows nothing about the subject, is condensing much more content into a sound bite or brief quote.

The DSM-IV definition does not exclude females from pedophilia. Females can and do have strong urges to be sexual with prepubescent children and therefore are pedophiles by the definition.

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (05/29/10 09:03 AM)

#332500 - 05/29/10 08:36 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
kidneythis Offline

The very idea is anathema to me. In my mind it is a psychosocial maladaptation to life.
I am unsure of the mechanism but I think it is a combination of abuse, poor examples, positive reinforcement for behaviors leading up to this one and a mind that is deviant.

I don't see pedophilia is a sexual orientation which biological basis means.

#332503 - 05/29/10 09:42 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: kidneythis]
Marinan Offline

Well, maybe it is an "Orientation" But I see pedophilia as the mind set, and molestation as the crime.

You can't imprison someone for an Orientation or even a mindset, but you can form opinions about them.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.