Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
5 registered (pufferfish, lapchinj, CafeMan, 2 invisible), 69 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62516 Topics
438105 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#188451 - 10/23/07 09:11 AM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Interesting reading, Ken. Wow! I'd certainly like to see a study done by a different organization just to check the findings.

#188452 - 10/23/07 09:13 AM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
No one knows what percentage of men are pedophiles, but Cantor said it
is a uniquely male condition

Yep. That explains my mother.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#188457 - 10/23/07 10:23 AM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: BJK]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Yes, that is a rather absurd generalization on Cantor's part. Hell, I've seen guests on CNN's Larry King show devote an entire hour to the subject of female perps, Mothers in particular.

#188458 - 10/23/07 10:33 AM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: dgoods]
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
dgoods and Ken Singer -

All this talk about markers and characteristics needs to be studied with great care as not to stereotype individuals. It is the behavior we want to change. My fear is that if we can identify certain traits or characteristics in certain people, part of society is going to want to say "Look at these results - that person is a pedophile. Let's make sure they get (put them) in treatment." Or "Don't hire short men at an elementary school - or you run the risk of him being a pedophile."

I just think there has to be a great deal of caution used when we say this is the mark of a potential pedophile. That could easily be used against us also - remember there is a popular misconception that survivors have a high rate of propensity to become perps.

Edited by kellygtx (10/23/07 10:37 AM)

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#188459 - 10/23/07 11:09 AM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Could it be that 'short male pedophiles' get caught more often than 'tall male pedophiles' ? Perhaps the "cure" will be to inject a "to be taller" chip into the fetal environment? Is the study telling me to warn my kids to avoid short people? Well my sons are 6'6" and 6'4"...almost EVERYBODY is shorter!!! What a dilemma!!!!

Again, I guess it is okay for my sons to hang out with Mary Jane Laterno and other such female teachers since being a pedophile is UNIQUELY A MALE CONDITION!

Howard

PS: I would find it interestingly funny if the researchers weren't taking their test seriously!!

#188463 - 10/23/07 01:33 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: ScottyTodd]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Wow, i don't know how i missed that Cantor thing... how absurd...
In my last post, i almost went on about the dangers of straying too close to a eugenics-type mindset. I'm glad Hitler's not around to see what's possible with technology these days- it's the same old story about a knife being able to be used to slice bread, or cut someone's throat. The issue isn't the technonlogy, it's are we mature enough as a society to know how to use it responsibly?
just my further 2 cents...

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#188472 - 10/23/07 03:11 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: dgoods]
pain4ever Offline

Okay this is totally off subject but is it me or are the kids getting taller and taller?

#188482 - 10/23/07 05:00 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: pain4ever]
duncanUK Offline
MaleSurvivor

everyone in the street will be suspicious of short men. its like they tell us if you have a long index finger your gay. or some other stupid things.

i dont think they know what causes pedophilia.

#188484 - 10/23/07 05:16 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: duncanUK]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
a long index finger??

** is checking both hands **

#188492 - 10/23/07 06:22 PM Re: Biological basis for pedophilia? [Re: MarkK]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
This may bring a whole new meaning to Randy Newman's tongue-in-cheek song a few years back, "Short people got no reason to live".

By the way, I post these items here because they can provoke some discussion and sometimes the news is really important. I wouldn't put too much on the short people article but the issues around brain function are pretty interesting in that the role of the brain in processing trauma and maybe some of factors that make some people abuse others may have some biological basis.

Just as we know that alcohol affects brain function, getting drunk does not excuse anyone from their behaviors. It might help explain why they do stupid things.

Ken

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.