Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442051 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#188506 - 10/23/07 08:39 PM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: Hauser]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, Alan, this goes a bit deeper than that, really.

It's kind of a long story as to why these Transformers are so special to me, and this really isn't the forum for triggers. Let's just say that as a kid, I promised myself that I would one day own all of them. Well, as you can see, the original Transformers are way to expensive now, so this is the next best thing. I'm not about to break the promise of a little kid.

That said, when I look at these things, they are just soooo cool looking compared to the stuff I had as a kid. Plus, there is more to just holding a transformer. You get to actually transform them! There is just something about taking a normal looking F-22 Raptor like this:

and making him into a mean looking robot like this:

You swivel a hip, slide out a chest plate, push the wings up, pry out the arms, and put him in just the right pose....next thing you know, you're stomping on autobots making that cool transforming sound.

Yeah, the one big difference between the Transformers from the '80's and the Transformers of today is how back in the '80's, I could transform them all in the amount of time it took to make that transforming noise. Nowadays, not only do I not remember how to make the transforming noise, but the time it takes to make that noise is about how long it takes to pull out one of the arms.

So far, I have Starscream and Wreckage posed on my desk with more to follow. Wreckage looks much more cool as a troop transport than as a robot, so I'm guessing he'll stay in vehicle mode. I need some Autobots soon, though, or the Decepticons just might take over!

Bryan

Edited by BJK (10/23/07 08:39 PM)

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#188507 - 10/23/07 08:43 PM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: Hauser]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Did my son do something terribly expensive when the light-up head fell off his OP?

BTW: Can ANYONE fully convert an OP betweeen truck and robot without instructions?

Still's Globs

New Video

#188508 - 10/23/07 08:44 PM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: BJK]
Army Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
You Rock Bryan!

Have fun

Army

Edited by Army (10/23/07 08:45 PM)

#188509 - 10/23/07 08:48 PM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: Army]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Yeah, its kinda hard to break a promise to a kid isn't it? \:\)

#188511 - 10/23/07 08:55 PM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: Still]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
Did my son do something terribly expensive when the light-up head fell off his OP?

Would you believe that the light up version of Optimus Prime (the OP Leaders version) is already selling for $65 to $70 still in packaging? The original retail price of this bad boy was $39.95. http://tinyurl.com/yuh7us

That said, these things aren't all that easy to find. I refuse to pay more than retail (plus reasonable shipping) for them, and Optimus Prime has been especially difficult to find for even close to that. Yeah, I think they've released these in short quantity for a reason, but at the same time, how valuable they are twenty years from now largely depends on supply and demand factors that just aren't possible to figure out yet.

Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
BTW: Can ANYONE fully convert an OP betweeen truck and robot without instructions?

Well, I didn't order the Leader version... I ordered the significantly less expensive (and probably much easier to transform) version ($19.95 from the Hasbro website), but it took quite a bit of practice to even get Starscream right.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#188571 - 10/24/07 07:48 AM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: BJK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Oh man, I am having so much fun reading this thread - it's catching me at a time when I REALLY needed it. \:\) Transformers are way past my childhood, but I remember getting into them bigtime when my son was little. "Daddy, time for transformers...you promised." It was amazing what you could do with those things, and the greatest fun of all was, as Bryan says, listening to my son making all those cool noises as he switched the thing around.

In my generation it was Erector sets, lincoln logs, and Skyline - but wow, did we ever have fun with those too. I just loved making my own skyscrapers, but then I wanted so bad to make something new, but at the same time I wanted to keep what I had already built. Ah, the frustrations of life... \:\)

Much building,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#188594 - 10/24/07 09:11 AM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: roadrunner]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Larry-
I had the same issue with legos and tinkertoys; "keep it, or start over?"

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#189666 - 11/02/07 11:43 AM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: dgoods]
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manhattan
Hey B,

That's awesome you're getting in touch with Lil B! I am a huge Transformers fan! I'm an 80's boy so I watched all the episodes, even the first animated movie (still trying to find it at Blockbuster or Netflix). The sound effects when they transformed in the 80's cartoons was SO cool! Anyways, I bought Optimus Prime when I found out they were going to make the movie and I keep him at work to help me stay connected with Lil J. Have fun collecting them all! Oh, by the by, thanks for that great pic of Starscream. Man, this thread took me back! Thanks B!

Jay

#189743 - 11/02/07 09:31 PM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: roadrunner]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: roadrunner
In my generation it was Erector sets, lincoln logs, and Skyline - but wow, did we ever have fun with those too.

I gave my son Boo my MatchBox set from when I was a kid. Its funny, I clearly remember thinking that I was preserving them for my kids "some day." Well, that "some day" arrived and I quickly witheld some of my cars from the conveyance. Some are just too darn special to end up in dramatic collisions off of Boo's bunk-bed. Some...I can replay in perfect detail, the day I bought them. Some of them have some very bad memories attched...some can make me smile.

I use to save milk-money to buy them.

Still's Globs

New Video

#189747 - 11/02/07 09:45 PM Re: So, I'm officially a geek... [Re: Still]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I had an Erector Set. Awesome stuff!

When I was 12 or 13, I got one of those 150-in-1 electronic project boards. That was great! It eventually turned into my subject of study in school.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.