Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
5 registered (Nathan LaChine, RyanW, 3 invisible), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444480 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#187822 - 10/18/07 03:57 PM Masturbation and Spirituality
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
A topic located on the public side here has prompted me to raise the question on the spirituality side. Many believe masturbation (here-on as M cuz I hate typing out so many letters) to be sinful. I for one have never believed it to be specifically a sin, and here is part of my reasoning on this: In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul talked about being married versus being single. He stated at one point that if one "cannot exercise self-control, then that one should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion."

Well, what if someone cannot find someone else to marry? Or what if a person is not in any emotional place to marry? If M is a sin, are they supposed to just "burn" all the time with passion?

Feedback, please.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#187823 - 10/18/07 04:05 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: FormerTexan]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Good topic, Andy.

The way I had it explained to me is it depends on what is in your heart/mind while M. If you are thinking of the pleasure, what's happening, the enjoyment - there is no problem. However, if you're thinking about taking advantage of another - fantasizing of a person already married, etc - then there is a problem.

"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he."

I think that says it all ... for me anyhoo-- my 2 cents.

M

#187829 - 10/18/07 05:50 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: MarkK]
wojax Offline

Loc: Florida
Well Andy I dont know what brought this subject up. Jesus said if a man Lusts after a woman then he has sinned. I guess like all guys over the age of 50 we were taught that masterbation was wrong and we would go blind ect......
when God made us we were made perfict but over the years we have found it nessary to relive ourselfs...If we do not then God takes over and does it for us (what we call a wet dream) If it is right or wrong I dont really know. It will not send me to Hell Im sure of that.

Jer 7:23 ps 91:16

#187839 - 10/18/07 07:23 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: wojax]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
The argument I've always heard within the church against masturbation is taken from Genesis, regarding the story of Onan. His brother died, so according to the law of the time he was required to sleep with his brother's wife in order to impregnate her and continue his brother's family line. However, Onan didn't want to impregnate her so he "spilled his seed on the ground". God was angry about this and struck him down. That "spilled his seed on the ground" could be taken a couple of different ways -- one is that he "pulled out" before orgasm and spilled it that way. Another is that he simply masturbated instead of having sex with her. Either way, Onan was exhibiting rebellion against God by his actions, which is the point of the story.

My own belief is as Mark stated above -- it depends upon the heart and mind at the time of the act.

#187851 - 10/18/07 08:55 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: EGL]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Interesting topic to be sure...........

And, in Eddie's example above it was not considered a sin to sleep with your dead brother's wife even tho you are not married to her. Now there's something that seemingly goes directly against other counsel given in the Scriptures.

From that example we see that as humans we have a tendency to pick and choose what passages in the Bible are to be strictly adhered to and which ones don't really matter so much. With that in mind I'm gonna chime in and agree with Mark and Eddie. If I'm busy wanking away over my neighbor's wife, it may not be a good idea. Reason being is I've noticed that when I do such things I find actions are often close behind and those actions can lead to the destruction of families. Not so great.

On the other hand if I'm simply enjoying my own body.... I don't see the problem.

One other thing.

In the passage Andy quoted I've always felt that was Paul speaking to couples telling them that they need to quit "burning with passion" and get married already. It never dawned on me that he was talking about "M". I don't believe he is, but perhaps I'm wrong.

#187853 - 10/18/07 09:16 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: WalkingSouth]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Originally Posted By: walkingsouth

On the other hand...

Freudian slip there, John? \:\)

#187855 - 10/18/07 09:42 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: EGL]
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Speaking of hands....I figure God made the length of our arms and hands to be able to reach our penises. What the Hell else are we supposed to do with them? If we can reach 'em, the all knowing God Almighty knows we are going to play with 'em!!

#187861 - 10/18/07 10:02 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: FLRich]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

tsk, tsk, Eddie! You're the one that thought of this one! I'm the one laughing at your humor! \:D

Definitely not a Freudian slip since I'm not particular embarrassed about the conversation. Funny none the less, now you bring it up!

#187862 - 10/18/07 10:09 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: EGL]
Pete2004 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina
Guys... my 2 cents worth.... I was single for 33 years, dealing with all this (including CSA issues without knowing what I was dealing with), looking to be married, craving a family, trying to be celibate to honor my Faith, all the while "burning with passion". So, Andy, I relate brother.

In retrospect, the big M for the most part was my acting out. I was sexualized at an early age and lived with the compulsive M most of my life and trying to ignore the guilty feelings.

Guys, usually the big M compulsion stems from the CSA and the resulting underlying issues it causes. As Christian guys dealing with CSA issues, we need to learn to live in a continual state of Grace with a deep understanding that God, through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, forgives us. EVERY TIME we fail! Jesus was tempted in every way, so He just understands the frailty of our flesh and bones. When we fail, He is ready and able to forgive, so just let Him forgive and move on....Don't let this issue pull you down, discourage you or cause you to withdraw from God...or divert your attention from continuing to deal with the underlying CSA issues. There are greater issues to deal with which as they are settled, the big M issue diminishes as well.

I wouldn't get hung up over that Old Testament issue with Onan, it had more to do with his refusal to honor God and his dead brother by not giving him an heir (complicated stuff) than actually spilling his seed on the ground.

Again, my 2 cents worth,

Peter

comes back into our own. (Edwin Markham)

#187865 - 10/18/07 11:12 PM Re: Masturbation and Spirituality [Re: Pete2004]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
not currently Christian, but not ignorant either
I agree, it would not be easy to live literally by Leviticus. If the OT was pre>

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.