Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
1 registered (WriterKeith), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63106 Topics
441314 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#187780 - 10/18/07 11:39 AM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: mogigo]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
You have to love semantics, and how a word that works for one might have a completely different connotation to another.

For me, "acceptance" is something I could never do. At least, not at this point in my recovery.

I guess what matters the most is we find what we need to heal, and progress at a rate that is beneficial for us.

I like this thread \:\)

M

#187785 - 10/18/07 12:17 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: MarkK]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Forgiveness came easy for me John, didn't help worth a shit though.

#187798 - 10/18/07 01:29 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: Hauser]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
Where I once said "Forgiveness is overrated" when asked if I ever planned to forgive my abuser, I now think my mind has come to realize it does need to forgive. Like Mark said, it has something to do with inside me, for me. It has nothing to do with the person you're forgiving.

I'm not ready for it yet; but I do think it is something I'll considering more as time passes and as I continue on this journey.

Johnoarc, thanks for sharing this post on your thoughts. It is clearly a hot issue here and I think it's different for everyone. I was raised in a Christian home and part of my growing up was learning about forgiveness and its importance. As I said I had previously decided I would never forgive the abuser but... things have changed now. I'm finding myself pulled in that direction despite not wanting to go there. I think because of how I was raised, I'll need to forgive to find a new level of freedom from this.

Cheers,
~Brian

#187802 - 10/18/07 01:42 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: frost]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Forgiveness is never something that a person can just cognitively do. It is a process that has to be worked through.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#187803 - 10/18/07 01:44 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: BJK]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
Originally Posted By: BJK
Forgiveness is never something that a person can just cognitively do. It is a process that has to be worked through.

A great point Bryan... So true.

#187805 - 10/18/07 01:45 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: Hauser]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Hauser
Forgiveness came easy for me John, didn't help worth a shit though.

I don't mean to pick on you Alan, but I don't believe you've forgiven anyone. I don't think you've even worked out the reasons why you need to forive Kim, and I know for a fact that you haven't forgiven your parents.

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#187806 - 10/18/07 01:46 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: frost]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
i'll NEVER forgive my dad...

buzz

#187807 - 10/18/07 01:48 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: buzz_key]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
wow bryan, you are quite the counselor these days...this is the second post of yours today to alan i've read and you are really just setting him straight, huh?
buzz

#187810 - 10/18/07 02:11 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: buzz_key]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Alan and I talk a lot in chat. He's been kind of a life saver for me, so I hope he doesn't think I'm being too harsh...

Bryan

What the world needs now
-David Lowery

#187863 - 10/18/07 10:28 PM Re: Drop the Corpse [Re: BJK]
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
Great discussion on this thread, I love all you guys. Some of the strongest people on the planet in my opinion.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.