Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
3 registered (YYZGIRL, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63404 Topics
443305 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#187143 - 10/14/07 07:33 PM I need HELP...
Frog Offline

Loc: Arizona

How do I stop "triggers"?

I need tools to stop these demons...
They are driving me crazy...

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#187144 - 10/14/07 07:36 PM Re: I need HELP... [Re: Frog]
saint-of-Lost-Causes Offline

Loc: Michigan
Therapy!

#187146 - 10/14/07 07:39 PM Re: I need HELP... [Re: Frog]
saint-of-Lost-Causes Offline

Loc: Michigan
I hope that didn't sound heartless....have you Identified your triggers?

#187153 - 10/14/07 08:17 PM Re: I need HELP... [Re: saint-of-Lost-Causes]
Frog Offline

Hell NO...I can't even think straight, let alone figure
shit out...

I am seeing a Psychologist...

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment, "The one I feed the most."

#187222 - 10/15/07 04:27 AM Re: I need HELP... [Re: Frog]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
Frog,

Might I recommend not trying to 'stop' triggers but instead, trying to 'manage' triggers. I feel this is a significantly more healthy approach to attempting to abolish them from your life. The reason being? Trigger management is a much more attainable goal. Whereas 'stopping' triggers is a goal that you might set nearer to the end of your recovery.

So, first things first -- Determine what you don't like experiencing about triggers. Perhaps there is an alternative to these things. Perhaps you could institute a trigger coping mechanism to see you through these difficult times. For me personally, the worst part is the depression... I can go from feeling groovy to feeling like the crap of the world in a matter of seconds upon being triggered. So instead of managing the trigger per-se, I attempt to manage this emotional fallout that occurs thereafter. Recognizing what the triggers do TO you is key to preparing, and 'bracing' yourself for the next one that comes along.

Think of this like walking through a mine field. You're not sure where those mines (triggers) are buried. The fact of the matter is: you need to walk through the mine field. The mines are going to go off. It's just a matter of getting armored up in order to effectively deal with these 'explosions' when they do occur.

Another thing to do is journal. Something I find happens to me is I'll get triggered, then a few days later, can't remember to save my life what the specific trigger was. However, through journaling, I've been able to document these things for myself and determine for later times specific things to avoid and such. This can really be quite effective in helping you to avoid known triggers.

Last thing I'll recommend is taking the time to explore those triggers and their origins. This is something that can be done with your psychologist. It is also something you can do by yourself. A lot of people tend to 'numb out' after a trigger and I do this as well. However, staying with the moment, staying with whatever memory has been unearthed -- and allowing it to take its course -- this can be extraordinarily educational and helpful. It's not something that you can do any time of day. At work isn't the greatest. But perhaps during spare time or personal time would certainly be appropriate. Just be sure you do this safely. Try not to be, for example, home alone when attempting this yourself. Or keep a list of friends and phone numbers nearby when you give it a try.

Wishing you all the best with this...
Keep posting and stay strong,
~Brian

#187337 - 10/15/07 09:11 PM Re: I need HELP... [Re: frost]
Frog Offline

Wow...thanks Frost...this is a start...thank you very much...

Gonna give this a go and head out to find a mine field... \:\)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.