Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (matt123, 2 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64018 Topics
446772 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#186672 - 10/12/07 07:45 AM Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework)
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Like an idiot, I am taking another class right now, else of my photography one (which I am taking good pictures in, but not getting good scores on tests in). And the first issue is to try to explain the theory of shrodinger's cat. I have read this, many times at this point, and can not quite get the philosophy of it. My 'wants to be a teacher' roommate is gone for few days. My other roommate says 'it's that thing where the cat can be alive and dead at the same time' but can't explain it. Is this something explainable? It seems like it is suppose to 'illustrate' a period of like, 'suspension', where two opposites can exist at the same time, until you have to say which it is, and then of course, you have to look at the cat?

I'm very confused with it. Does anyone know of this thing that I'm talking about, who could explain the 'theory' of it?

Andrei

#186673 - 10/12/07 08:52 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: ak]
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Androsh,

Sorry buddy...quantum mechanics is way beyond my small brain's grasp. You are talking about Shrodinger and Einsein here. I'm with Leshka on this one.

#186676 - 10/12/07 09:01 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: ak]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Wow. This is a fun one...

Little known fact: Shroedinger didn't actually believe the cat was both alive and dead...he was trying to make a case that this interpretation of quantum physics didn't make sense.

The idea is that subatomic particles...say, electrons, aren't in any specific place, unless you're measuring them. They're spread out over every possible place they could be. If an electron has a 50% chance of being here and a 50% chance of being over there, and you're not looking at it, it IS 50% here and 50% over there. But when you set up a detector, you force the electron to be somewhere specific...it "decides" where it is, but that decision is totally random. Lots of particle behavior, like nuclear decay, works that way...random, and indefinite until it's measured.

So Shroedinger said "Let's set up a situation where a cat's in a box and its life or death depends on the decay of an atom that has a 50/50 chance of decay." (If the atom decays, it releases some poison.) Since the event doesn't "decide" whether it's happened or not until it's observed, that would mean that the cat isn't alive or dead (or it's in both states) until the box is opened.

Some physicists say, "yeah, that's right"--others point out that the cat may count as an observer. There are all sorts of alternative ways to look at it, but the standard view of quantum physics does suggest that the cat's both alive and dead.

Hope this helps!

David

#186696 - 10/12/07 10:26 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: MemoryVault]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle certainly comes in to play here as well. The Principle in its simplest form states that we can not know the location of a particle and its speed at the same instant in time, and this applies to other similar paired-properties of particles.

The other portion of this is that we can not observe something without changing it in some way. To see something, we need photons to bounce off of it, and the energy of those photons may heat or move the object being observed.

Quantum mechanics is all about probability: the probability that an electron will be in a particular orbit around a nucleus, or that a photon will be at a particular point in space, for example. When a particle has a probability of being some where, some times it will be, and some times it won't be, but we won't know for sure until we look for it, and then we change it.

One might argue that particles are everywhere at once because they have a minute probability of being there at any given point in time, and the same goes for the properties of that particle (charge, spin, color, etc). It isn't until we look for it in a specific place that it becomes a physical particle in a particular state.

Edited by Dewey2k (10/12/07 10:26 AM)

#186697 - 10/12/07 10:38 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: Dewey2k]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Andrei, I'm with Rich on this one. Us two simpletons will sit on the sidelines and admire the bigger brains at work. \:\)

#186702 - 10/12/07 11:04 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: EGL]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Why survivors are like particles:

We're not too clear about where we are and where we're going.
If you make us tell you exactly what state we're in right now, we really have no idea where we're going next.
We can have enormous energy, but it doesn't last very long.
We don't behave like anything you're familiar with.
We can sometimes do what's supposed to be impossible.
The world is made up of us.

#186708 - 10/12/07 11:50 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: MemoryVault]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

MV,

Very funny, and very profound at the same time. Thanks for posting.

#186716 - 10/12/07 01:15 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: Dewey2k]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
You guys did a pretty good job of expaining that.

One thing I didn't see is the fact that it is a thought experiment only, to try and better understand why you cannot measure both the momentum and the position of an electron at the same time, but you can separately.

The cat is neither alive nor dead until you look in the box. For this example, our eyes are the detector and the cat cannot be both alive and dead at the same time.

Wikipedia to the rescue!

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#186731 - 10/12/07 03:11 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: cbfull]
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Guys -

WTF! I am so glad I am an accountant!! I don't care if the cat is alive or dead - but I can help him with his estate in any case.

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#186735 - 10/12/07 03:16 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: kellygtx]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Well, our family cat hates me so I say any dead cat is a good cat (with apologies to those here that love theirs).

#186737 - 10/12/07 03:29 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: kellygtx]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey

I'll just hang out over here till you guys figure it out

Trish

#186739 - 10/12/07 03:35 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: Trish4850]
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Trish -

Don't forget - I can handle your estate planning or your estate administration - depending upon the state you are in. ROFL!

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#186742 - 10/12/07 03:47 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: kellygtx]
pietie Offline

Loc: South Africa
I am so glad I wont have to write a business plan on this issue, that will simply not make sense!!!

MV if you ever release a book on "THE PHYSICS OF A SURVIVOR" let me know I will help you market it!!!

Sorry AK for highjacking your post, but everything Dewey and MV said - the first time.

#186757 - 10/12/07 04:32 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: pietie]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

I used to run nuclear reactors for the Navy, and quantum physics applies to some extent on how the reactor works. Science in general is a hobby of mine, so I pick up on things in a wide variety of disciplines...

#186800 - 10/12/07 08:05 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: Dewey2k]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

I love science also, but I have trouble with quantum mechanics. A lot of it is too counterintuitive; my beloved laws of ordinary physics don't transfer very well when you get down to subatomics. It's not fair, dammit.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#186826 - 10/12/07 10:07 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) *DELETED* [Re: melliferal]
nicky Offline

Post deleted by nicky

a strong man is one who is able to control himself when he is angry
what is your definiton of control?

i lay awake another hour
just like the one before
the shadows play a game with my head
i can't take this anymore

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x4EOw8wPBN8

#186838 - 10/12/07 10:35 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: nicky]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Subatomics are where it's at though...

I had this theory about Dark Matter... maybe I'll share it some time \:D

#186917 - 10/13/07 01:02 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: Dewey2k]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Not a fan of WIMPs?

#186919 - 10/13/07 01:09 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: melliferal]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sure I am! WIMPs are awesome, but I think DM is some crazy stuff. The only way we can see it is through gravity, and since it repels itself (and only itself) with a stronger force than gravity, it gravity tractors everything away from everything else as it repels, hence the increasing rate of expansion.

Edited by Dewey2k (10/13/07 01:09 PM)

#186921 - 10/13/07 01:16 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: Dewey2k]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

But then you've got the effects of MACHOs as well. Perhaps dark matter is too broad a label and we're in fact dealing with a couple of different kinds of stuff.

ETA: Uh oh, it seems MACHOs have been eliminated as explanations of DM. Shows how well I'm keeping up I suppose...

Edited by melliferal (10/13/07 01:25 PM)

#186965 - 10/13/07 07:31 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: melliferal]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
You guys are cracking me up. I am a science hobbiest myself and I like to build my own Van De Graaffs and other high-voltage toys (tesla coils and plasma globes).

For me, string theory is where it's at because it is so beautifully intuitive and I believe it can explain any phenomenon. Using the concepts of string theory I can explain how electric, magnetic and gravitational forces are all literally tied together and are all a result of local variations in the speed of light (this is not proven so please don't get annoyed at me for saying that, it's just my own personal understanding). I don't know what to think about these dark matter and dark energy theories, so far I'm not a fan of the concept.

I'm so glad someone has brought all this up, I didn't know there were any other survivors that liked this kind of crap. My Van De Graaff is my favorite because it is "interactive". There's just something amazing about safely charging up your whole body to near 500,000 volts and throwing a 12" spark out of your fist.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#186970 - 10/13/07 08:02 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: cbfull]
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK, Androsh...You've managed to get the guys to do your homework for you. I always say use the resources at hand!

#187128 - 10/14/07 06:48 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: FLRich]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: EGL
Andrei, I'm with Rich on this one. Us two simpletons will sit on the sidelines and admire the bigger brains at work.

Make that three simpletons! I'm in!

#187135 - 10/14/07 07:09 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: WalkingSouth]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, I am the simpleton also. But I will say, it is not a physics or quantum mechanics class, but instead a philosophy class based on 'paradoxes'. So hopefully most of them will not be this difficult to understand. Thank you all, for helping to explain it in ways that I could 'get' more.

Andrei

#187156 - 10/14/07 08:26 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: ak]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Many paradoxes are a lot easier to understand than Schroedinger's Cat. They only become tough if you try to solve them - and some of them just can't be solved.

#187254 - 10/15/07 10:36 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: melliferal]
soapy bubbles Offline

Loc: london
It would be easier if the damned cat stayed out of boxes altogether.

“Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.” --- Eleanor Roosevelt

#187290 - 10/15/07 02:27 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: soapy bubbles]
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
At least the dam cat in the box, alive or dead, isn't attacking MY dog!

Bah, humbug, cats.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#187380 - 10/16/07 05:25 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: Leosha]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I thought this was funny, after the discussion. I wonder if the teacher would find it to be funny if I include the picture with the assignment.

Andrei

#187383 - 10/16/07 05:57 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: ak]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Urm, it's funny, but I think it's a snarky response to a female sexual proposition- maybe not best for schoolwork?
(besides, the box has been opened, a measurement has been made, the cat's state is fixed- the wave has collapsed.)

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#187385 - 10/16/07 06:37 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: dgoods]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andrei --

Hand in a closed padded box, and say that your assignment may or may not be in there. You want to be graded on the uncollapsed waveform. You'll get both a 100 and an incomplete. \:\)

David

#187390 - 10/16/07 07:27 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: MemoryVault]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

It is of something sexual? I did not know that, I do not understand of how that is? Sorry.

Andrei

#187391 - 10/16/07 07:31 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: ak]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
"Box" is crude slang for "vagina".
I'm glad I mentioned it!

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#187396 - 10/16/07 08:04 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: dgoods]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: dgoods
"Box" is crude slang for "vagina".

Not in my country! ;\) But thank you!

Andrei

#187552 - 10/16/07 11:53 PM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: ak]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

LOL!!!

I've been highly entertained by this thread over the last few days. Thanks for starting it Andrei. \:\)

#187562 - 10/17/07 01:15 AM Re: Shrodinger's cat??? (evil homework) [Re: WalkingSouth]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, I am glad you was entertained John! I am also glad to have better understanding so that I could do the stupid assignment. I am thinking this class is perhaps not a good idea, but we will see.

Andrei

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.