Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445822 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#186899 - 10/13/07 10:14 AM Re: The God Question [Re: savemyfam]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Hey Angie,

Deep and analytical, huh *lol* I know alot of people who would challenge that assessment *rflmao* But you're right in that in order to truly believe in God, alot has to be put the side so that faith can simply take a front seat.

I too was born and raised Irish Catholic - the church played a huge role in my family growing up and maybe it was just my parish, but me and the Catholic church seem to have been doomed from the start. You see, I am adopted which I think is fabulous, but the jerk who was in charge of my church when I was born thought that was a problem, so I was not baptized in the church, being a bastard and all. Rather, it was a kindly priest who was friends with my father who agreed to do the baptism in the basement of the rectory. I have nothing but kind thoughts of this priest, but the church, well - I've got issues. There were several instances over the years with my local parish that turned me away, but that was the start.

I'll do some more thinking on this though, I promise. I've actually not thought so much about it for many years until I started reading here.

ROCK ON..........Trish

#186901 - 10/13/07 10:33 AM Re: The God Question [Re: Trish4850]
savemyfam Offline

Loc: Chicago
I too had things happen in the parish and had issues with the church for a long time. Bottom line is that they are just people, no different from me. What struck me as I got older is through all of my years in my Catholic education, I never opened a bible. It was when I started to hear teachings from the bible that it all became clear to me. And it really is all very simple.

And by the way, don't ever change your deep, analytical thinking!!!! Us one layered people really need multi layered people like you!!!!

XOXOXO
Angie

#190475 - 11/08/07 04:58 PM Re: The God Question [Re: Trish4850]
thesun3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hello All:
There are so many examples of God's apparent absence. However, when I look back and see the faces of those who were there for me after the abuses...there's no doubt that God answered some of my prayers and then some. People I "happen" to bump into in Graduate School(I still don't know how I finished), at church retreats, on the job, and now, on this site, that willingly provided freindship and guidance.
No doubt, I question the ability of organized religion, the so called "institutional church" to provide the true nature of God, nevertheless, there are some trusted people who have demonstrated kindness and love.

#190511 - 11/08/07 08:39 PM Re: The God Question [Re: thesun3]
Coach Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Afflictions are the cause of eternal glory. Not the meritorious cause, but still the procuring cause. God has seen fit to reveal his purpose not only to reward with exceeding joy the afflictions of his people, but to make those afflictions the means of working out that joy.

Charles Hodge

Carpe Joy

#190569 - 11/09/07 07:20 AM Re: The God Question [Re: Coach]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Coach,

I don't understand that quote at all.

Trish

#190584 - 11/09/07 10:25 AM Re: The God Question [Re: Trish4850]
thesun3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

WOW! I love that avatar...what a cute yet profound image!
I'm working on aquiring a mirror like that!

#190617 - 11/09/07 02:30 PM Re: The God Question [Re: Trish4850]
Coach Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Greetings:

I have studied alot about God (Theology). However, God (which is immaterial) or spirit seems to make sense to me when others that have been wounded come along and bear their struggles.

Coach

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.