Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
3 registered (don64, 2 invisible), 56 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63112 Topics
441360 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#186429 - 10/11/07 02:45 AM Re: scared [Re: sabata]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Steve,

I am a more religious person then not, and I would still be concerned about a therapist pushing it at me. In U.S., you have the seperation of the Church and goverment. In my mind, there should be the seperation of Church and therapy also. One is my personal faith and beliefs, one is a science to help me heal. They can be joined some, if it is of MY choice. But not that of the therapist. I hope that this new therapist is a good choice to you.

Andrei

#186450 - 10/11/07 07:15 AM Re: scared [Re: ak]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Steve,

I'm so happy to hear that you've found a new therapist. I'm hoping that you'll find that you've made it a long ways since your last therapist visit. If you're like me, you just need someone to talk to every week to help process what you've taken in.

I also have to chime in about the religion part of all of this. My first attempts at therapy about ten years ago here in the Bible belt were clouded by support groups who were not accepting of agnostics and one particular therapist who seemed to make every session about why I was pushing God away. I guess I look at all of the people of faith who I admire for their faith, and yet their faith doesn't seem to be helping them in the slightest when it comes to recovery, and I wonder why I need that in my life.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#186454 - 10/11/07 07:28 AM Re: scared [Re: BJK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Steve,

Like Andrei and Bryan have said, I too would be cautious about any T who seemed to be pushy about religion. Ts have their own feelings and priorities, of course, but that's exactly the point. A T who is on your case about religion isn't focusing on YOUR needs; he's concentrating on his own need to preach and evangelize.

If this troubles you, then you have every right to ask him to back off and leave religion out of it. If he won't or can't, then I would say look for a new T. Like I said, it's more than just him crossing an important line - it's about where his priorities are.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#186593 - 10/11/07 08:14 PM Re: scared [Re: roadrunner]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks--------that was my lsast t-----------------the one pushing religon------------i nhavent seen him in a year---------------------my new one is a lady------------------aferican american---------------------she specilaizes in sexual trama-------------------------------------i go see here tommrow----------------------------the first vist was a interview------------------------------yea i need some one to talk to-----------to process things------------------as i live bymyself-------------------------and dont have anyone to talk to--------------------on a daily basics---------------------------------hopefully it will go good-----time will tell---------------steve

#186966 - 10/13/07 07:39 PM Re: scared [Re: sabata]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

so-------friday was my first session with my new t--------------------i was impressed----------------she knew what i was talking about----------------she understood----------------------she has a lot of knowlage in the abuse field----------------------------so we will see where this takes me--------------------steve

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.