Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 12 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447734 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#186208 - 10/10/07 11:54 AM Attitude is Everything
sweet-n-sour Offline

Loc: chicago
I’ve been working in the garage the past couple of days. Today, when I left the dog outside, I didn’t bother to check to see if the gates were left open or not in our backyard. They’re normally locked tight when I check, so I believed she was safely enclosed.
About ten minutes into what I was working on, I heard a male voice, then a whistle, then more conversation directed at my dog. With great caution, I went through the back door to see what was happening. The next door neighbor, the son who had been on crutches now for a few weeks, had hobbled over to bring our dog back.
This young man has always struck me as someone who knows how to enjoy life to the fullest. He’s into motorcycle racing and a daredevil by nature. In fact, when he was younger he used to jump from their two story roof and into the swimming pool without blinking an eye.
I learned something today about the human spirit that I’d like to share. A couple of weeks ago, this fellow was struck by a hit and run driver while riding his motorcycle. He has a large gash at the top of his head, his upper leg has pins in it, he is currently in physical therapy…life has really handed him some huge obstacles to deal with. He was all smiles as he told me about his misfortune and then the most amazing thing is how he is actually working to rebuild his motorcycle to ride again, but the next time he said, he has decided to wear a helmet.
When I returned to the garage to continue to work on my project, I couldn’t help but smile. There are some amazing people in this world that do not allow circumstances beyond their control to EVER stop them!
I’ve mentioned to a few people here that I keep a log in the “notes” portion of my cell phone of one new thing that I can carry with me each day…I learned a LOT from this young man in just ten minutes, learned so much about keeping a positive attitude when life seems at it’s worst that I felt inclined to share.

S-n-S

cm 2007

#186225 - 10/10/07 12:58 PM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: sweet-n-sour]
Agape Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Dearest my friend;

You know a lot about me between our PM's and I you. Today was the day that I sent off those questions I wanted to ask my bf. A little scared I was to do so, but your post today, right here encouraged me to smile and feel a little less intimidated, scared. I wanted to share that,so I just clicked on the "Email Post" button and passed your post on to my BF. I hope he enjoys it too.

Thank you!

always,
Kelly

(especially love that is spiritual in nature)

#186248 - 10/10/07 02:31 PM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: Agape Girl]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Dear Kelly:

Thanks for saying so! I'm sending you some positive energy so that everything goes well with you and bf.

I believe that words can be very mind boggling at times...they can motivate, uplift, support, encourage or on the opposite end of the spectrum; tear down, destroy, cause wars or perpetuate evil. What we decide to do with such experiences makes me wonder a bit. Today I met an incredible spirit just ten feet from my garage, invited over by my fugitive dog...and you know something amazing Kelly? This young man and his spirit aparently made a difference to you many miles away from here!

Amazing, if you think about it really...a positive wave of human spirit traveling across the vast ocean of internet technology. Thanks for your reply!

Best wishes,
S-n-S

cm 2007

#186682 - 10/12/07 09:28 AM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: sweet-n-sour]
Agape Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote for today!!!

Here's the Quotation for Friday, October 12, 2007

In all people there are two sets of feelings: One is fear, the
other is love. If there is fear, then we shrink as a person. But love,
wow! That can move mountains!

Jorgen Roed

and secondly I wanted to share with everyone my feeling at yoga last night and thinking back to this post. I was bent over in half called "forward bend or badakinvasina" and I was just hanging there stretching out my back when I realized my mouth was smiling, the corners of my lips and cheeks makes my mouth look like I'm smiling. That thought in itself made me smile. So give it a go!

Go on and smile.

(especially love that is spiritual in nature)

#186695 - 10/12/07 10:26 AM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: Agape Girl]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Thank you Kelly!!! You are a wise and remarkable person!

I promise to wear my best smile to parent teacher conferences today and keep it there no matter what!

S-n-S

cm 2007

#186698 - 10/12/07 10:42 AM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: sweet-n-sour]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Thanks for posting a great story about your next door neighbor, S-n-S. I does sound like he has an incredible spirit and attitude towards things, and I know I've learned from his example as well now.

#186700 - 10/12/07 10:54 AM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: EGL]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Thanks for saying as much EGL. I truly believe we can learn a lot from each other by example. I am often struck by those that I meet up with that seem to radiate an amazing unstoppable spirit! They are among us in all walks of life if we choose to notice them, yes? A smile during the roughest moments is a wonder to me.

Best wishes,
S-n-S

cm 2007

#186900 - 10/13/07 10:22 AM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: sweet-n-sour]
savemyfam Offline

Loc: Chicago
What a remarkable young man!! I believe that God puts people like that in our lives to knock us back a few pegs.

If you don't mind me taking over your thread for a few minutes my friend, I'd love to share my remarkable person!!!!!

My neighbor Lara went to school with my younger sisters. I would bring my sons to the beach in our neighborhood and Lara would be there with her MANY children. Every spring it seemed Lara would have another baby. She had 7 children that she home schooled. She was the most spiritual person that I have ever met. The kind of person that was so pure of heart that no matter what enormous problems that you had going on in your life, you walked away from her feeling uplifted and that the world was not such a crappy place.

She and I became friends of the soul. When she was 31 she found out that she had a very rare, aggressive cancer and knew that she was dying. She fought the cancer for 3 years and all through her fight, she never waivered in her faith, her love for her children and continued to touch each person that she met. She never complained. I would ask her how she's doing and she would say in her sweet voice "I was so sick last week that I thought I was going home to the Lord" and I would say something to the effect of how all of this sucks and she would say "It's a bummer" that was the extent of her complaining. What she would say over and over again is "isn't God awesome".

I could go on and on about what a spectacular person she was, I think her memorial service says it all. It was held at the Evangelical Free Church and so many people attended that the church was filled and the gymnasium was standing room only. They set up a microphone and people were lined up to tell their story of how she touched their lives. Grown men that had just met her sobbed as they shared how she had touched them. There were so many people there that the police had to direct traffic.

So I believe these people come into our lives to show us that the world in not such a crappy place!!

XOXOXOXO
Angie

#186903 - 10/13/07 10:40 AM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: savemyfam]
sweet-n-sour Offline

Dear Angie:

"So I believe these people come into our lives to show us that the world in not such a crappy place!!"

I believe that says it all! Thank you for sharing the life of this remarkable woman of strength. I sometimes look at life as a big card game that you never know what is going to be dealt to you next. Sometimes the cards are received with a smile, other times with a frown and often times if you arrange the sequence differently or look at your next door neighbor to see how he/she are making the best of an awful hand...well, in the end we somehow know that ALL of the cards can be a winning hand if we just know how to read them in the right perspective, yes?

I really think we can learn so much by example from others. Anyone else care to add to this post of people who have struck them as remarkable spirits in the light of tremendous adversity? (By the way, I do see a lot of remarkable spirits here reflective in the posts of many survivors and the family/friends of survivors. I truly admire the spirit in each and every one of you!)

Thanks Angie!!!

Best wishes,
S-n-S

cm 2007

#187201 - 10/14/07 11:02 PM Re: Attitude is Everything [Re: sweet-n-sour]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

S-n-S,

Thanks so much for sharing about the neighbor boy. I love it that there are kids in the world who are confident and caring and know what they want out of life. When I run across one or hear about one I smile to myself and just feel good for them.

Lots of love,

John

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.