Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
8 registered (Jude, 6 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64023 Topics
446798 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#186017 - 10/09/07 09:59 PM Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers)
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I was looking at the de>

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#186030 - 10/09/07 10:29 PM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: onlyakid]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Jason i dont really know the answer i think their are many variables for instance how strongly will it trigger you? will you just get angry or will you have severe flashbacks?

Personaly some things i cant watch right now because it is to upsetting

but some things dont bother me to the point were i completely shut down.

right now in one of my classes we have to read a child called it.... this book is really triggering but i have decided that i want to see how well i can handle it so i am trying to finish it.

I guess just do what feels right for you their is no right way or wrong way to deal with things like this

,Chris

#186049 - 10/09/07 10:51 PM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: theatrekid]
brokensoul Offline

Jason,

I think you have to go by your gut instinct on stuff like this. I don't get triggered often by stuff they show on TV any more but there was a time that I did. Now I like to watch stuff like SVU because they always get the bad guy and I think it gives me a wishful thinking kind of thing. But I would expose myself to triggers as I could and I think that helped to desensitize me to some degree. But only you know what you are ready for just error on the side of caution.

Take care.

Brokensoul

#186060 - 10/09/07 10:59 PM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: brokensoul]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
I think that you should NEAVER put your self in any situation that You know will will cause emotional triggers .

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#186136 - 10/10/07 08:54 AM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: OKIE MIKE]
Paul1959 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Jason,
My T would strongly advise never putting yourself in a position that will cause any sort of triggering or stress.

If you do the parallel of physical and emotional pain... If you break your leg or have some grave injury, you instantly take care of yourself and get help. Then the recovery process is one of nursing yourself back to health. During that time, all pain is avoided because it is a danger signal that you are injuring yourself further - besides it is just uncomfortable! An athelte should NEVER go through the pain barrier - it almost always causes more damage - some of it permanent. Physical therapy may cause some discomfort but the professional knows how far to go to help recovery. We would all agree that this is common sense, right?

So, the emotional injury - we writhe in pain, we get help. We nurse ourselves back to health. Avoid more pain - your spirit is not strong enough yet - it will do more damage - some of it permanent. Your T is just like a physical therapist - your seesions may be painful, but he knows how far to go and how far to let you go. Just as you would never do your own physical therapy except for the exercises you are given, we should all be careful that we do not determine what emotional exercise is the right one for ourselves.

While that parallel is not 100%, it is a good guidline to how must nurse ourselves, be kind and gentle to ourselves. Avoid discomfort - it is a danger sign. As time goes by, you will wake up and discover that what once hurt will do so no longer - HEALING!

Please, take care of yourself.
Paul

#186287 - 10/10/07 06:55 PM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: onlyakid]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jason,

Originally Posted By: jtt5254
Normally I will avoid this because I don't want to be triggered, my question is should I watch it anyway, because the only way out is thru?

Yes, the only way out is right through the middle, but as others have said above, it's best not to put yourself in harm's way. Yes, there are some steps in recovery that are difficult and triggery, but we do them anyway because they are essential to our recovery and if possible we should approach them under the guidance of a therapist. Graphic and upsetting TV shows aren't essential to our recovery, and if there are consequences we are usually stuck alone or with others who are not in a position to know how to help.

I would go with your instincts on this one. I think you are already wary of that CSI series, which is great but very upsetting sometimes. When you feel like that from the outset I would give it a miss.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#186307 - 10/10/07 07:38 PM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: roadrunner]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

The worst trigger I ever had was from watching a CSI episode.

I just thought I'd warn you.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#186316 - 10/10/07 07:46 PM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: BJK]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Originally Posted By: BJK

Me, too! It was an episode about a little girl who had been sexually abused. I was on the treadmill at the gym while watching it and nearly passed out. Not good.

#186328 - 10/10/07 08:08 PM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: EGL]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: EGL
Originally Posted By: BJK

Me, too! It was an episode about a little girl who had been sexually abused. I was on the treadmill at the gym while watching it and nearly passed out. Not good.

***TRIGGERS!***

A 10 year old boy was raped and killed. All the viewer saw was his bloody hand print on the wall from the position in which he was raped.

I've been dealing with the image of that handprint ever since.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#186482 - 10/11/07 09:22 AM Re: Should I avoid triggers? (might contain triggers) [Re: BJK]
Gerald2007 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeastern US
All,
I agree with the comments about putting oneself in harm's way.

I do want to point out that watching these type of TV episodes WITHOUT ever connecting what was happening in them to my past, is what I experienced (or didn't) for decades.

For me being aware of the connection and the potential emotion downside has been an important step in my recovery.

I doubt my experience of being totally unconsious about my past CSA is unique. That's the main reason for this post.

Grace & Peace,
Gerald

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.