Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#1855 - 08/22/02 03:40 PM Washington Post article
d503 Offline

there is a link on the nomsv homepage to an article that recently appeared in the washington post. this is an awful piece and it made me so angry to read it - particularly because of the following excerpt:

"Molested boys are more apt to become perpetrators themselves, sometimes as a way to demonstrate that they are not victims."

what the fuck is that? this is such bullshit and it is this kind of thinking which makes me never want to talk about abuse to anyone. it automatically assumes that if you have been molested then you will most certainly turn around and do the same. what a stupid asshole.

#1856 - 08/22/02 04:13 PM Re: Washington Post article
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
d503,

I'm with you! It isnt' bad enough that it happened to us, the additional stigma of being labeled a potential perpetrator is devastating and probably will keep boys/men from coming forward.

I heard a talk from a therapist that dealt with perpetrators sent to court ordered group therapy. One of the first things he does is have them take a lie detector test. Half of those who said they had been molested as children lied. And if you look at the statistics, 1 in 6 boys molested before the age of 18, that means that about 17% of the male population has been molested. The jerk who wrote the article has done a great disservice to anyone who has been abused by heaping on a bit more guilt and shame on top of the general feelings of worthlessness that pervade abuse victims.

Steve

#1857 - 08/22/02 04:26 PM Re: Washington Post article
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
If it's ignorance, it just might be excusable.
But a journalist wrote it, so that's no excuse.
And that leaves bigotry or laziness, and neither of those are excuses either.

part two. ( an hour later )

I've just re read that article, and I must say that I missed that statement the first time I read it.
But I do find the rest of the article pretty good and aware of SA problems, although that statement does stand out as being bad.

Certainly a high proportion of perps have been abused, but that doesn't make a high proportion of abused men perps.
If I was being very generous I might say that that was the point they were trying to make, but they missed by a mile.

Lloydy

#1858 - 08/23/02 01:49 AM Re: Washington Post article
SoCalJohn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Los Angeles, California
all i can say is i was shocked to discover....

97% of perpetrators drank cows milk as children...

the implications are staggering...

and they make about as much sense as what that idiot wrote in his article.

John

I asked him about this law he spoke of, he said,,, *watch* he then asked the others to share about their lives,,, the others talked of how things were for them, how things worked in their lives,,, and as they believed, it was so.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.