Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441810 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#185692 - 10/08/07 05:54 PM Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome
randy5761 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hello Men,

This is my first post. I just joined the forum. I am a 50 year old man and I am a suvivor of sexual physical abuse from the hands of my parents. For 12 years I was sexually and physically abused by them. I have been in counseling off and on for 10 years and a new issue has come to the surface. I have been diagnosed with PTSD. I am wondering if there is anyone who has similar issues. I have read a little a bit about it the other day. I believe my mind is ready now to approach this situation and I'm ready to learn how I can deal with this issue. I have touch fobia with females. It is affecting my marriage now and would like to talk to others who have gone through any healing processes and can give me any insights to this issue. Thank you in advance for any ideas through this forum.

Kindest regards,

The Butler

#185695 - 10/08/07 06:04 PM Re: Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome [Re: randy5761]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Butler,

Welcome to MaleSurvivor. You are in the right place.

There are a lot of survivors who suffer from PTSD and are never diagnosed. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to find a counselor who is experienced with sexual abuse survivors. Others will give you more advice, but that is a place to start.

There is another treatment that you may hear about: Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). It has been successful in a lot of cases. Look it up on the web and research it yourself. If you can find a good T who uses EMDR, then I think it will help.

Take care,
D2K

#185698 - 10/08/07 06:14 PM Re: Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome *DELETED* [Re: randy5761]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by ttoon

#185744 - 10/08/07 08:53 PM Re: Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome [Re: ttoon]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
Randy , I was diagnoised with PTSD about 7 years ago . I do understand what you are talking about . I do not like to be touched by any one . I also have issues with going into any where that there are a lot of people . I do not even go to Family gatherings .
I have Agoraphobia ( The fear of leaving firmilier surondings)
I wish that I had some easy aunsers to give you . But PTSD Is a Bitch to live with . and will destroy your personal life. You just have to force your self to do what is nessary for life .

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#186031 - 10/09/07 10:32 PM Re: Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome [Re: randy5761]
MusicMan Offline

Loc: Elmira, NY
Hi Randy,

Welcome to this site. I hope that you will find it to be helpful.

One of my diagnoses is chronic PTSD. I was diagnosed with it 3 1/2 years ago. It is absolutely terrible and has prevented me from moving along with my recovery. I could go into detail with my experience with it, but I will spare you that. The only rest that I get from it is to avoid it at this point. Although several years of therapy has made it a little bit better.

As far as the touch goes, it's like all of us here share the same soul. So many of us have problems with being touched. I know the feeling well, where you space out temporarily when you know the touch is coming. The only thing that has helped is therapy... reliving those overwhelming experiences.

I think that I became a bit more desensitized when, through therapy, I began to realize, and, especially, feel, that I am a member of this world. I share this planet with everyone else here and that I have the right to be me. This made me feel like not everyone who touches me is going to have access to my soul and not hurt me. It gave me some self-confidence that I have never had, which made it all right to shake hands with another man. I'm still not really good at it, but I'm a little better.

I hope some of this makes sense and helps. It's all about feelings and who can adequately describe a feeling?

God bless,
John, The Music Man.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.