Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
5 registered (VASurvivor, finallyhere, A74, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443346 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#185449 - 10/07/07 11:16 AM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! *DELETED* [Re: ttoon]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by ttoon

#185463 - 10/07/07 12:15 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! [Re: ttoon]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Dave,

To the batcave indeed! lol

And Transformers were great fun, except that I could never get them into the shapes I wanted the way my son could. He loved seeing me fumble around!!! \:D

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#185465 - 10/07/07 12:27 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! [Re: ttoon]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: ttoon
Bryan,
I got to see that movie though, it looks like it was well done...is Bumblebee in it?

Bumblebee is in it - saw it a week or so at the imax. The review I'd read said it would bring out the 8 year old boy in any man - I loved it! Even my wife liked it, and for a 2 and a half hour smash em up, car chase, battle scene movie, that's something.

On the cautionary side, it contains a great deal of violence and I would not bring an 8 year old to see it.

Mike

#185467 - 10/07/07 12:37 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! [Re: mike5]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ah, yes. The movie was quite good, but the portrayal of Bumblebee was not quite what I was expecting. He held his own in a battle against one of the Decepticons (Barricade), and that just wouldn't have happened in the cartoon. Besides...Bumblee's personality just did not fit a Camaro. He was a Volkswagon Beatle in the cartoon, and there were some contractual issues between Volkswagon and the producers of the movie. Therefore, instead of making him into a Chevette, which would have been quite fitting, they made in into a muscle car. Blech.

At any rate, I did bring my 8 year old nephew to see this. It is the third real movie he has ever been to see in a theater. In the beginning of the movie, when the first Transformer on screen actually transforms from a helicopter into a robot, he literally stood on his seat and yelled, "That was AWESOME!!"

I grabbed him, pulled him back down into his seat, and tried to whisper "shhh" to him in his ear as quitely and as seriously as I could, but I was just laughing way too hard. Seems all of the people in adjacent seats got a kick out of it too, and it was all good because he didn't make a peep for the rest of the movie.

He was fascinated by it. There was a lot of violence between robots, but three was no gore. The scene that had me the most on edge was the bedroom scene where the topic of masturbation came up. It flew right over his head. Thank goodness they didn't use any of the popular slang terms, or there might have been some uncomfortable questions on the way home.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#185472 - 10/07/07 12:46 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! *DELETED* [Re: BJK]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by ttoon

#185474 - 10/07/07 01:24 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! [Re: ttoon]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Super heroes!!!

I loved Batman as a kid. I used to watch the cheesy T.V. show every day with Adam West... I tuned in "Same bat time, same bat channel" Whenever I could. I had a batman cape for a while, but a dish towel fastened around around my neck with a safety pin was nearly as good.

As I got older, I got into aquaman. I broke my arm really badly - had to have pins placed - there was no rehab, but my parents thought swimming would be good. I swam all the time - the water was so easy on my arm (throwing a ball was very difficult as my arm would not straighten). Anway, I used to pretend I was Aquaman and "save" friends who were drowning or being attacked by bad guys.

Thanks for this post... I created a great fantasy life as a kid around these guys.... Always wanted to be able to join the Justice League.

When the Xmen movies came out, I was hooked. I have seen each one several times with my kids... Sort of understand the whole mutgant thing!

Dan

The Thing freaked me out, but I was drawn to him in a creepy sort of way...

Marge Simpson

#185476 - 10/07/07 01:33 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! [Re: dannym]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
i feel so left out. haha i didnt read comics growing up but i took a class on them in college. (yeah it totally was an english course offered at my school.) anyway it was really interesting learning about how how and why they were written.

i didnt have comic heros.. i didnt like transformers.. and this is going to sound TOTALLY gay but i idolized a lot of ballet dancers. i was an avid dancer from when i was 4 up through college and i alway was drawn to the guys in whatever ballets were playing at the time. half the time i didnt know thier names it was more of "oh that guy who danced as that role, in that ballet in that city." for me ballet was the control and balance in an uncontrolable world.

#185478 - 10/07/07 01:45 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! [Re: Jarrad]
SEVEN ARROWS Offline
MaleSurvivor

I dont know if this counts.

But when i was young and going through shit, there was a boy who helped me and tried to protect me, he took a lot of shit for me and got hurt because of it.

Never liked all the super hero stuff when i was a kid, were was they when i needed them, no savior in funny costume for me, just another kid in a dark place who tried to help.

He was and still is my super hero..

Backspin

#185480 - 10/07/07 01:57 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! [Re: SEVEN ARROWS]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Hey, Backspin, I like your superhero! That is so cool to have a commrade who was there for you.

Jarrad. I was a huge old movie watcher as a kid, and I idolized all the old Dance greats... Gene Kelly, Fred Astair, Donald O'Conner, Danny Kaye. I would watch the same movies whenever they would come on (no VCR's so I would watch the TV guide like a hawk!). I also remember watching the old Carol Burnette Show. I told my dad I wanted to be a member of the June Taylor Dancers, I thought he was going to swallow his tongue. But when I started doing musical theater in Junior High and High School, he came to every performace - and clapped the loudest!

I would like to recommend a book - The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay - won the Pulitzer Price for best novel a few years back... outstanding book that takes place during the hayday of comic book writing... some heavy themes, but excellently written. Author is Michael Chabon.

Dan

Marge Simpson

#185481 - 10/07/07 02:12 PM Re: Super Heroes...no, really! [Re: sabata]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
Batman of course .Because he is the only one that is real ;\)

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.